Question

Can course completion change Competencies?

• 11 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello!

We’re looking into using skills in our platform but we have some questions and reservations about competencies and self evaluation. 

Can taking a course with a shared skill passively raise a users competence in that skill, or do they have to manually re-evaluate the skills themselves every time? I can see people abusing a feature like this by just taking a bunch of recommended courses and cheesing their competency levels up however.

We were hopeful that taking a course would raise the users competency levels, or that taking a course with a skill they didn’t already own would earn them that skill. And it doesn’t look like you can limit competency adjustments solely to managers. I can see how self-evaluating can be both beneficial and detrimental if someone thinks too highly of themselves.

The Skills Dashboard and My Team pages seem amazing for things like annual reviews, so we’re trying to determine if the cons outweigh the pros with skill tags, or if it’ll make things messy. Any advice would be super appreciated!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @AndilinErvine - I think the challenge for us with adopting skills (and leveraging them for competencies) is that there is no system metaphor for the concept of a competency.

In other learning platforms - we get a chance to have some containership where something like this happens:

• course(s) > mapped/tagged to/for a skill
    • skill > mapped/tagged to/for a competency
      • competency > can have one or many skills mapped to it (in turn you can have many courses mapped to the competency through skills)

With that one more layer - you can understand a skills gap alot better and can understand a persons progression though skills towards a competency.

That said - with Docebo - there really isnt a concept or a container for competency. It is a flattened usecase with only a skills gap analysis based on mapped courses to skills. A person can be deemed competent and analyzed on up to 10 skills.

I hope my gibberish makes sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

One last note - and directly answering your question - Can taking a course with a shared skill passively raise a users competence in that skill, or do they have to manually re-evaluate the skills themselves every time?
I believe a course can be mapped to several skills. There is no concept of manually re-evaluate themselves every time (but you may be able to “gimick” an outcome like that. 

Userlevel 2

Thank you very much for the details on this! I think I understand.

We were hoping taking courses would automatically earn the user a skill or increase their proficiency in it, but it sounds like skills are a very self-oriented experience. We’re still looking into how to best use skills and competencies for getting people to visit the LMS more often and take an interest in their trainings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thank you very much for the details on this! I think I understand.

We were hoping taking courses would automatically earn the user a skill or increase their proficiency in it, but it sounds like skills are a very self-oriented experience. We’re still looking into how to best use skills and competencies for getting people to visit the LMS more often and take an interest in their trainings.

Making sure you dont miss what I was putting down:

• you map the course(s) to the skill(s)

The system will help you:

• “honor” a completion criterion (that you set for the course) for your training material.
  • give you a way to map courses to skills.
  • understand how people are moving along with that (those) mapped skill(s)

A suggestion/path. Further define…..

• what those competencies are at your org may help (if it is not already mapped out)
    • for example, in healthcare - we separate out technical competencies, and instrument competencies vs people competencies.
  • to understand that gap between what the system has as skills.
  • versus where you want to go
    • then recognizing it as a boulder or not for your implementation path

….may help to bring clarity to the subject.

Userlevel 2

Thank you! I hope I’m keeping up with what you’re saying, I haven’t delved into skill tagging in a few months so I’m unaware of what I’m missing a suppose.

I understand you attach skills to courses, then the platform will recommend these courses to anyone with a similar skillset (so long as the course is open-enrollment to a catalog). We are definitely building out our own skills to best represent our company.

I’m a little confuzzled on what you mean by - “honor” a completion criterion (that you set for the course) for your training material.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

‘I’m a little confuzzled on what you mean by - “honor” a completion criterion (that you set for the course) for your training material.”

In the most generic way of talking about a course - you set a completion criteria.

You can put an assessment learning object (a quiz on it for example) that will only allow a person to mark the training material as completed if they meet the criteria (get an 80% or better for example). 

The course does that for you - once the training material(s) are configured for their completion criteria - you never have to do it again.

Userlevel 2

Oh okay! I guess with the way it was worded I was curious if I had missed something, so I’m good!

Thank you very much for the help and clarification! I really appreciate it as we’re trying to get the most out of implementing skills.