Skip to main content
Best Answer

Can I change a user's branch automatically based on a condition?

• 20 April 2023
  • 3 replies

I see eligibility rules for groups but not branches. I know I can change a branch with a CSV file or assign a branch based on an additional field at creation. I am struggling to find a way to automatically change a branch based on any conditions. 

Use case:

1. User enters the system as a potential consultant, placed into the “Potential” branch.
  2. When they meet certain criteria, they move to the “Consultant” branch. 

If I can capture the criteria, can I automate the switch? 

If I setup the creation based on an additional field, will it update current users’ branch based on that field changing?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@dianex.gomez Unfortunately, you can’t move accounts between branches based on conditions or additional fields. Docebo actually recommends that we limit the amount of moving accounts between branches.

You can do those things with groups. And you can base menus/pages, enrollment rules, catalog visibility, etc. based on groups. While I certainly understand the “physical” organization of a branch and how we are naturally drawn to that type, the “dynamic” nature of groups is really the better method to use.

That said, I do admit that I periodically (like every month, 6 months) go thru my branch assignments and move people into a branch that is more in keeping with their position in the platform.

Userlevel 4

@dianex.gomez We typically recommend that Branches are used for organizational type structures that are relatively static. For example company Divisions, or Stores. From an external perspective a list of client’s or partner’s name as a branch. Users are then moved between branches through a .csv file through the automation app, CRM integration, or API calls.

The example you provide sounds like a Job Function or Job Tile which could be an additional field and you could base a group on that field value. As the individual moves through different levels of Job Functions they would be removed/added to different groups based on the group criterion.  

Userlevel 4

Our branch assignments are tied to Okta which is tied to our other systems so when a customer’s location is updated they are moved automatically. However, our HR manages employees using Automation to move people (in volume) as needed.