Question

Course changes to a copy of a Mastercopy appear to be cascading to all copies

• 15 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hello all. I have submitted a support ticket for this issue but I’m very curious if anyone has seen it, & whether you have a workaround, because it’s causing some significant issues.

We had a MasterCopy of a course in a central folder, where all of our PowerUsers can access and duplicate as needed to add to their own region. PUs can access the MC folder and their own regional folders, but they should not have access to other regional folders.

Usually we use the Central Repository but in this case we did not, which really makes this issue confusing.

A PU created his own version which he had to translate into Polish. He was having some minor issues that he asked me to fix (it was an issue with the SCORM file on our end, a simple enough fix).

I replaced it for him, then went to check the original EN version to make sure it aligned. That’s when I saw that it’s in PL now.

My original thought was that the PU accidentally worked on the wrong course, but that didn’t make a lot of sense b/c he clearly had made his own copy. I checked other copies of the original, both EN versions and non-EN versions, & every copy I looked at had only the PL versions.

I replaced one of them from the original w/ the EN copy, now all versions seem to be showing the EN version.

I have no idea how any of this is possible. It seems to only be affecting this course, so far, but it’s a really weird issue & we’re curious if anyone else has struggled with this.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@NateC Hi, Nate … curious question. How does the PU make the copy? is it a course duplication? Where in the platform does he go to make the copy?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @KMallette 

This is in the Course Management menu, when a user duplicates a course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@NateC Thanks for the info... I ran into a weirdness with duplicated courses myself a couple of days ago...I posted about it here

When I duplicated my courses, I duplicated everything … TMs, enrollments. Is that what you all do as well?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @KMallette 

I cannot speak for everyone, but usually i’ll duplicate just the training material. If it’s a new language, I might not even copy anything, unless it’s got several different pieces of training material & i need a reference point for the layout of the new language.

In this case though the PU copied it himself so I really cannot say for sure how he did it. 

I just read the thread you linked to. I don’t use API, owing to an incompetence in that field on my part. This was all done manually.

But it’s odd to me that we’re so far only seeing this on just the one course. Well, a lot of things are odd to me around this I guess, but this point is particularly strange.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Unless I am misunderstanding this… because you used the term “replaced,” which implies he wrote over the content...

If the course was copied using the course management screen, then they are both using the same asset from the Central Repository. If he’s had the content translated to Polish, then that copy of the content should be uploaded to the Central Repository and then added to the course.

Alternatively, you don’t need to use the Central Repository at all and can just upload the translated version of the course into the course material tab.

The benefit of the Central Repository is the ability to reuse the course material in multiple courses so that if someone completed the material in one course, they will automatically receive credit if it is included in another course. Beyond that, if you don’t need to give credit each time, then you don’t need to add the material to the CR. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @JGildea 

We actually did not use the Repository for this course, which is what’s so confounding here. We duplicated the course several times, and in each case either kept the original files, if it was in an English-speaking market, or ‘replaced’ - i.e. deleted the original & added the new version separately - the original files for non-English markets.

Yes, if we were using the CR I’d have a lot less confusion here, because it would be easy enough to make an error that would cascade to all courses. But since none of the content in these courses was stored centrally, I can’t think of a reason we should be seeing this issue.