Best Answer

Default Settings for new eLearning Courses

• 17 May 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would like to set the default to the Self Unenrollment option in eLearning (Advanced Properties) to “Allow self-unenrollment from this course” instead of the option that adds “after learner has completed” for eLearning sessions? Has anyone figured out how to do this? 

Additionally, for ILT I’d like to set the default to “Change Session” same question, is this possible? 

icon

Best answer by Adam Ballhaussen 18 May 2021, 17:42

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I may be wrong but I don’t think it’s possible to set these settings as default unless you’re using some kind of automation to create your courses.

I would be glad to find out that I’m not right though, so if anyone has an answer for that, I’m curious as well! :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks @abartunek, to answer your question, I am not using any automation to create the courses. Just good old button pushing on my part!  

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Stephanie Dreiling I agree with @abartunek. That is not an option in the Advanced Settings so I don’t think it is possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

No, I don’t think is possible. I think it would be cool to have that option as default 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Stephanie Dreiling I love the way your mind works. I’ve been using Docebo for >2 years and I’ve always just accepted that I’ll need to go into Advanced Properties for every course I create to update the same settings:

• Details > Self-Unenrollment
  • Additional Fields

This is an excellent idea. Have you checked the ideas portal to see if there are any submitted ideas related to this? 

In the meantime, I was inspired by your idea and came up with an alternative solution that might save you some time in the future for E-Learning courses. I tested in my sandbox and it looks like the Self-Unenrollment settings in Advanced Properties of courses transfer to new courses when duplicated.

Here’s what I recommend:

1. Create a new E-Learning course in Course Management and name it something like Course Template. To keep things organized, you could even create a new Course Templates Category and put this and other templates to be duplicated in that category. 
  2. Update the Advanced Properties for this course that you’d like to transfer, including the desired options for Self-Unenrollment. In my testing, I found that Course Additional Fields did not transfer when duplicated, so you may want to test which properties do/don’t transfer.
  3. Once you’ve configured your desired settings, Save Changes for the course template.
  4. In the future, any time you’d like to create a new course, navigate to the Course Template course, hover over the ellipsis on the right of the course, and select Duplicate.
  5. Select the Course Name and Options you’d like to duplicate, then select Confirm.

While this solution isn’t full-proof, it could potentially save you and your team a lot of time creating courses. You could also pre-format the course description to make it easy to update, copy course widgets that you commonly use on courses, and even duplicate training material for certain courses if relevant. Creating multiple courses in a Course Template Category could be a good way to build templates for different types of common courses.

Steph and others, what do you think? Could this help you at all? If so, I might consider creating a guide to share some ways to leverage E-Learning course duplication.

For more info on duplicating courses, check out this article: Creating and Managing E-learning Courses (Duplicating an Elearning Course)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Adam Ballhaussen that’s it! You are officially my new favorite human! 

:runner_tone3: Racing to my platform now to do this…!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Adam Ballhaussen that’s it! You are officially my new favorite human! 

:runner_tone3: Racing to my platform now to do this…!

LOVE IT! We’ll create a Guide for this solution as well. I’d love to hear how others are using the Duplicate feature. It seems like there’s some untapped potential there to make course creation more efficient! 

Thanks for bringing up this idea.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

LOVE IT! We’ll create a Guide for this solution as well. I’d love to hear how others are using the Duplicate feature. It seems like there’s some untapped potential there to make course creation more efficient! 

Thanks for bringing up this idea.

Ooh, I like the duplicate idea for having default settings! 

To kind of piggy back on the idea of how to use duplicate, since power users do not have access to the central repository, the Duplicate course feature has been our sort of a work around for our power users who use same learning objects for multiple courses.  They create a single course with all the content they are using for a series of courses.  Then they can duplicate the course with the material and remove the objects they don’t need.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

To kind of piggy back on the idea of how to use duplicate, since power users do not have access to the central repository, the Duplicate course feature has been our sort of a work around for our power users who use same learning objects for multiple courses.  They create a single course with all the content they are using for a series of courses.  Then they can duplicate the course with the material and remove the objects they don’t need.

@Annarose.Peterson  That. Is. Genius.💡 

I love this! I’ll add that use case to the guide as well (and give you credit of course 🙂)