Does anyone use Gamification?

• 10 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello - We have recently launched Gamification and we are finding some issues with the feature… 

• Badges and points can be deleted, coins can’t be deleted. 
  • Reporting options are limited and doesn’t allow you to track coins, only badge points and contests.
  • There isn't a management option where you can track/review user engagement and progress.
  • Notifications are limited in creating excitement for the learner to engage - “You just won a new badge!” or “You are only xx # of points away ...” aren't available.

These are the top 4 areas that we have found to be a barrier in hosting a successful gamification. HELP if anyone has a work around for any of these options. We appreciate any feedback available. Thank you! - Danielle  

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi @DRamirez 

We too are just now testing out the gamification functionality and I was wondering if you would be interested in pooling our findings on defects, functions and work-arounds.

I personally would like a running list of what I need to test and flag.

EG. We just learned that there’s known defect that awards unpublished badges to users. The time and effort spent trying to troubleshoot user error on my part, running a confirmation test, documenting and sending in a support ticket could have been avoided by looking at an existing list. (my request for such knowledge is pending) ;)

I’m right there with you on how to build notifications/excitement. I have some ideas there but haven’t built a POC yet. ​​​​​​​ :) I’m thinking: Duplicate badge criteria in a group and connect group to notification. You?

Susan

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Gamification is on our roadmap for this year, and frankly I'm not sure where to start with it.  I’d be really interested in advice on where to start and any pitfalls to watch out for.

Userlevel 1

We are getting ready to soft launch our platform and would like to include basic gamification. For now i’ve set up Badges for completing courses. Would be great too work together to share ideas & pitfalls.

Userlevel 4

Foundational planning - more ‘work’ than ‘play’ but critical 

@KTJD and @spopp 
Before we even touched the system, we built a giant nerdy matrix of “level design” based on game progression and game design theory - loosely applied ;)

1. First and foremost, use a sandbox version of your platform and just build and explore the behaviors. Make a mess! Push the limits. :)
  2. Second - ALWAYS keep in mind that humans instinctively look for patterns in behavior, so you need some some of underlying logic as to why certain courses are worth X points and others are not. (basically game design tells us that the mind does not deal with reality, it deals with models [of reality] and if it can’t build a mental model of the game, it’s perceived as nonsense with little chance for players to apply strategy.)
  3. Begin with the end in mind! :) What’s the max score a user can get in one year? We built some scoring weights on a 100% scale (100,000 points for easy calculation during design) This was determined by categorizing all activity within Docebo. (see image for what we landed on)
    We presented our plan after making a concept in Sandbox and have now moved into Production BUT learners are not aware of it because we’re using CSS to HIDE everything from learners. (reach out if you want the FULL code for hiding all game)
  4. We really wanted our badge/points to be weighted primarily on the course length (time in the Properties tab of each course) - this can’t be automated, but we’re going with COLLECTIONS! 
    EXAMPLE: One collection around learning SOFTWARE our teams use has 4 LEVELS of badges for anything on that topic. If a course is really just a reference guide or quick info (TIME of 1-10 minutes) it’s Level1 badge, 10-30minutes is Level2, 30-55 minutes is Level3, etc. We had to do some serious Excel manipulation to sort through all our content to get to the badge scores across everything, but we’re fairly certain this is a strong foundation that will let us scale.
  5. Also - we ended up having to redesign our course CODE format as the badge features to search through all courses is limited and codes were the only constant detail. New codes tell us: Department, Category, Audience, Topic  +plus+ (we further discovered we need to add Time/Level to the code -per #4- for sorting through everything.) Whew.
See bullet #2 and #3 above that got us here.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Happy Monday! It has been a while since we connected on Gamification and since we have identified a solution to our badge point issue. We found that if you need to delete old badges, it doesn't delete the points associated with that badge and Docebo is unable to do much about it, especially if you have already deleted the old badges. 

The best way we found to accomplish this is to create a “Reset Reward” in the Reward Shop and manually go through and select the reward per learner you need to reset. Hopefully, you don’t have many….

The reason you would need to do this is, is if you needed/wanted to re-launch your Gamification function and have all your learners start on the same playing field. If you didn't reset the points, older users would have an advantage over newer users. 

Hope this helps someone else not to make the same mistake we did!