E-Commerce and variable subscription prices

• 5 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi all,

We offer various different levels of membership subscriptions to learners but we’re currently handling payments for these outside of the LMS. We’ve just configured Stripe so I’m keen to set up as much as I can in-LMS.

Looking to get the opinion of someone who is familiar with subscriptions please as to what would be the most straightforward way of setting things up for the following scenarios:

1. We currently offer subscriptions that vary based on what learning users have completed, e.g. one of our subscriptions is £50 per month for a select group of learners, but once they have completed a specific learning plan, we discount this to £30 per month. To replicate this on LMS, I was thinking - set up two subscription models and two groups, then move learners from one group to the other based on enrolment status? Is this something that can be changed dynamically, or do users needs to unsub and resub at the new price point?
  2. We also offer different subscription prices to people of different membership levels. Do I need to duplicate the courses included in the subscription for as many different pricing levels as we have, or can I use different subscription modules and place the same course in all of them at different price points?

Hope that all makes sense. It all seems very complicated but it might just be because I’m unfamiliar and overthinking it! Would appreciate any feedback & tips…

Thanks as always for your help! 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Think you’re on the right track...Subscriptions have the advantage of not relying on individual course prices so I think your premise of offering different subscriptions for different groups should work nicely. How are they setup? by seats or by licence? I found that you can also use coupons with subscriptions so that may be another option for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Think you’re on the right track...Subscriptions have the advantage of not relying on individual course prices so I think your premise of offering different subscriptions for different groups should work nicely. How are they setup? by seats or by licence? I found that you can also use coupons with subscriptions so that may be another option for you.

Thanks for the response Irnlab :)

I have nothing set up just yet - I’ve only just started looking into it properly but I’m hoping to have found a solution by the end of the month…

I’m actually a little unsure about seats vs licenses - but I think licenses would be the best way? Essentially I want users to pay a monthly subscription fee and have full access to a catalogue of courses in exchange. From what I’ve read, it would be best to use licenses for this right?

Is the coupon option in the content partners app? I saw that and thought it might be good for one-off purchases, but do you think it could be used for subscription price tiering as well?

Edited: sorry - just realised you meant the coupons option in the e-commerce app! I haven’t actually looked at that yet 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

agree, licenses are probably best for your use case.