End of the lifecycle of a course

• 4 August 2023
  • 6 replies

What would be the best way to essentially make a course (that has reached its end of it usefulness) unavailable to learners, but still show up on any reports if learners have completed them?

For example, if you have a course that is part of a collection of courses that lead to a certification, but this one course is no longer needed for the certification.  so we don't want future leaners taking the course, but would still like past completers to show they completed it on their certification transcripts.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Go through and archive them with these few steps:

1) Change the status of the course to Under Maintenance.
2) Remove the course from the catalog(s) and other learning objects that they are in and where applicable (visible catalogs on a page as well as learning plans).
3) Add it to an ARCHIVED Catalog for its own cataloging...and so you can get to them in one felt swoop.

Userlevel 4

Archive the enrollments. Feature just went live this week. 

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/11521889929490-Archiving-Enrollments-for-Recurrent-Training

Select the option to Archive and Unenroll. This will move the selected learners to the Archived list, but their progress will still be reportable.

If that doesn’t work for you, you could create a Retired catalog for unpublished courses that only superadmins have access to.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

We have been marking them as Under Maintenance, and adding INACTIVE: to the beginning of the titles (so users that had already been enrolled understand that it has been retired).  We had been removing them from catalogs but since our Power Users are set to view courses in visible catalogs, we found that would make them “invisible” to the Power Users when running reports or viewing users’ summaries.  So we leave them in their existing catalogs for visibility, but only those already enrolled will see the course (with a lock - so they can’t access it because it’s under maintenance).  Anyone not already enrolled at that time would not be able to see the course when browsing or searching.  To keep the course management area from being cluttered, we move it to an INACTIVE category.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We have been marking them as Under Maintenance, and adding INACTIVE: to the beginning of the titles (so users that had already been enrolled understand that it has been retired).  We had been removing them from catalogs but since our Power Users are set to view courses in visible catalogs, we found that would make them “invisible” to the Power Users when running reports or viewing users’ summaries.  So we leave them in their existing catalogs for visibility, but only those already enrolled will see the course (with a lock - so they can’t access it because it’s under maintenance).  Anyone not already enrolled at that time would not be able to see the course when browsing or searching.  To keep the course management area from being cluttered, we move it to an INACTIVE category.

We do something similar, but we use the keyword RETIRED instead of INACTIVE. 

I also have a course additional dropdown field for STATUS with choices of CURRENT and RETIRED. That provides another way to search for courses. 

Shifting the courses to a RETIRED catalog is a good step, too. We haven’t done that yet, but I’m considering it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@billso - what’s up? Just using your note?

It’s my opinion that only one more parameter/status changes the game/detail of what we are all doing with course curation.

It’s not about active/under maintenance.

It is about visibility or being hidden that people struggle with.

If that gets broken out and is not nearly as wound up as it is with permissions? Then I think we are finally cooking with crisco. Beyond that? I think we will always be helping out people like @thethird2001 with better UX practices.

Even if we can mark the catalog widget to not show support those that are flagged as hidden? That would help. 

Userlevel 4

We do something similar, but we use the keyword RETIRED instead of INACTIVE. 

I also have a course additional dropdown field for STATUS with choices of CURRENT and RETIRED. That provides another way to search for courses. 

Shifting the courses to a RETIRED catalog is a good step, too. We haven’t done that yet, but I’m considering it. 

We add RETIRED to the course code.