Question

Featured courses - how to implement?

• 27 April 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

Experts, could you help determine the best way to implement this requirement?

I want to to list a few courses as featured courses on the platform based on quality of the material and what we determine as the most important. The trick is that these courses are not accessible to all.

So essentially, my plan is use catalogs to determine visibility of courses to each user depending on products that they own. From those courses, a few will be selected as Featured Courses. I’d like to display these Featured Courses on the home page. Each user must see only a subset of these courses, depending on which they have visibility to based on other catalogs.

Basic question if I show a Catalog on a page, whether the visibility of courses can be based on another Catalog that is not on that page.

Am I thinking about this correctly? Any ideas to help me accomplish what I am trying to do?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @kmanoj sounds like you need a few catalogues and a way to carve out each group of users that align to each of your catalogues...Are you using branches? and would there be a clear alignment between a branch and a catalogue? If not, you will need to use Groups and assign your catalogues based on those groups.

As for featuring only a specific set of courses, that’s a bit tougher as the catalogue will show everything in the catalogue. Now if you use the catalogue sort options, you could set that to match your courses (whether by title, newest>oldest, etc.) and when you build your page, again depending on how you set-up your widgets, the view could show only the first few courses - I know not great.

Another way you want to go about this (again this depends on how you manage your user groups)...you could create different homepages for each group, align your catalogues to the same groups but when it comes to featuring courses, you would use a custom content box with the course enrolment link or use the HTML widget and create a small list of the courses you want to feature…

Hopefully you find something useful here...