Gearing up to use Gamification - need lessons learned and guidance for strategy (Do's and Don'ts)

• 5 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hello all

We have been live on Docebo for over 2 years now and are gearing up to use gamification. I have been reading and learning a lot (thanks everyone!), but I thought I would ask for some of your best tips/tricks for gamification and your strategy in this one post. Thanks.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@JeanetteMcVeigh one thing to consider is that the gamification functions in Docebo are mostly designed toward the competitive aspects - rewarding learners for completing most things or doing them in the shortest time. 

They do not implement too many aspects of gamification related to encouraging individuals to spend more time learning or completing all/more of the assigned learning (regardless of whether others did it). 

The above means that you need to be very mindful about the goals you want to achieve with gamification. To provide you with an example - we have a yearly compliance training program, for which we do NOT use gamification.

Some of our leaders had an idea to reward the first few people who will complete all required learning. However, it would not support the overall success of the program. The thing is that once those first few are done, no one else will be motivated by the reward (as it would already be clear who gets it) and the goal of the program is to get everyone through the training, having a few early completions don’t offer any value in achieving this goal.

A better solution could be to offer a chance for a reward to everyone who completes the training within a given time limit - as a lottery or a guaranteed item. But such a scenario is not really supported in Docebo. 

You may be able to build something interesting using points and the rewards shop but first think about the goals you want to achieve. 

In our system we only use leaderboards (separate for employees, partners, and customers - the last two are anonymous) - we assign 10 points for every completed course and create a new leaderboard for each year, so people can see how much learning they completed within a year and compare themselves to others. To be honest, I don’t see any significant impact it had on the learners’ engagement.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

We only use for now the Badges and Leaderboards… We assigned a default badge for a course completion, milestone for completing 100 courses, posting a question in a forum, etc. You can start from general ones then offer to your stakeholders if they want to have a unique badge for their courses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We do badges and coins. The big is for completion of course and that also comes with the coins which can be traded out for swag. They can redeem the coins in the LMS, then we send the user a coupon code via email that can be redeemed via a 3rd party site (Brand Addition) that manages our items and mails it out. It’s a bit of a manual process, and Brand Addition isn’t the best at responding some times. For the swag, it’s important that the LMS and the vendors numbers match up so you don’t run out of items and a user tries to redeem something that you don’t have.

We don’t do leaderboards as it’s not retroactive and as EXE we don’t want to mix and mingle all of the customers on the leaderboard for quasi-privacy purposes and our customers that have small products would always be out shadowed by the bigger products.