Hidden Training Materials - Impacting course progress

Hi all — I’d love to hear best practices from the community regarding hidden training materials. We currently hide old versions of training materials and add new versions within a course. This will allow new users to only complete the visible materials without impacting current completion data. 

The issue we’re bumping into is for learners who’ve already completed a training material before the new version was added, they will no longer show as 100% on their course progress.

Example:

• Learner fully completes a course that contains a SCORM and Test
  • Learner shows as 100% in course progress
  • Admin needs to update the test so the previous test is now hidden and a new version is added to the course
  • There’s still a total of 2 visible materials in the course 
  • The learner who already completed the course will now show as 50% on course progress, even though their course status will show as completed
  • Please note: the learner does not need to retake the test
  • Any new learners going through the course, will show as 100% complete if they complete the SCORM and new test but previous learners who’ve taken the course will not show as 100%

How are you managing course progress % for learners who’ve completed a training material but that material is now hidden? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@DavinatI’d recommend that outdated materials be removed from the course, mostly for the reasons you just noted. The Central Repository is much better method for managing updates to courses. When you push an update from the Central Repository to a course shell, it does notify you as to how many persons are enrolled/in progress.  I believe the default is to reset the learning for those persons, but only for that training material. As an admin for the past 10 years (4 with Docebo) I’ve never had anyone complain that they’ve had to reset a course if I pushed an update while they were in progress. I doubt most of them even notice.

I believe that the Training Materials report does allow you to report on which version was completed (I might be wrong here).

PS - The behavior that you’re seeing is the same for adding courses to a Learning Plan. Completed LPs now become incomplete.

Thanks @KMallette! The reason we aren’t removing the test from the course is because we need historical records of completion for that test. I agree that the CLOR is a great resource for versioning, however, the CLOR doesn’t allow versioning information for tests (which is what we need to update). Based off this article, CLOR only versions for  SCORM, AICC, XAPI (TIN CAN), File and Video.

We currently run completion reports to see scores for each training materials but don’t pull in the course progress % because of this issue. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Davinat why not just run a report on the expiring test and download it/archive it as a spreadsheet? Then you still have your historical record (frankly, in a better format than that displayed within Docebo) and you can delete the test from the course and eliminate your issue.