How can I automatically award Certifiation and Retraining where renewal is a different course?

• 2 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I have a simiar situation to that described in this idea. 
Summary:
User completes INITIAL course earning the Certification. 
Certification is renewed annually via a RENEWAL course, this one is tied to the certification with a 1 year expiration. The RENEWAL course is updated annually for freshness. 
With the introcution of archived enrollments, this works well with relative deadlines. 

How do I automatically grant the Certification after the user completes the INITIAL course, in a way the user can renew by taking the RENEWAL course?
Has anyone come up with a workaround? 
The only one I have been able to come up with is to manually award the certificate based on completing the renewal course. 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I found that if you add the renewal course after the initial set-up and award to the user, when they go to renew, since they cannot complete the same course for certifications, they only have the option to launch the next available course. The renew button takes them to a list of courses tied to the certification and allow them to choose which one to complete. That said, when you have more than 2 courses, and a user is starting their process for the first time, it may be necessary to instruct them on which course to take first. Not sure if this is what you need...

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@lrnlab I didn’t know they get to choose if there are mutiple paths to the certification. I did learn that if we award the training manually, they do not get a “renew” button. Back to testing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Well since they cannot complete the same course for certification, the idea would be to add 1 course for each retraining cycle...So for the 1st year, they complete course 1,, then in the 2nd year, to get the cert they would need to completed 2 courses but since 1 is already done, that’s the only choice they have to make...and so on...does that help?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Intersesting but what happens in year 3? They need to repeat the renewal courses they did in year 2 every year. Plus, new people are starting all the time so they have to start at course1. 

The path is

Complete course 1 to earn the certification.

Complete course 2 to renew the certification (annually from the time they completed it). 
Cousre 2 is perfect for renewals with the way certifications and retraining work. I’m struggling with how to award the first certification in an automated process. Right now, we are manually (single or csv upload) awarding the certification and tying it to Course 2 for renewals.  

@dianex.gomez What if you setup a course equivalent for that original course? According to a Docebo rep, the user’s certification would be renewed… I have not tried it yet though but am looking into testing this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

we managed something similar with groups and enrolment rules + equivalencies...quite a complicated set-up but it works well...not bullet proof but good. We also use archiving as part of the process since there are 2 courses required to be certified and 1 is an ILT. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@dianex.gomez What if you setup a course equivalent for that original course? According to a Docebo rep, the user’s certification would be renewed… I have not tried it yet though but am looking into testing this.

The challenge we had with equivalencies is transaction date. If the user completes a course on Nov 1 and is enrolled in the equivalent course on Jan 1, the completion for the equivalent course will be Jan 1. They would have to be enrolled in both courses from the start. Or as @lrnlab says, using enrollment rules, when completing course 1, automatically enroll in the renewal course with an equivalency. 

New challenge is reporting on who actually completed which courses. Using equivalencies artificially inflates the renewal course numbers. Might be worth it to automate the process.