Skip to main content
Best Answer

How can we simplify proctored exams?

• 11 August 2021
  • 7 replies

We are currently requiring proctored exams for our technical industry certifications. This process has been a nightmare for us to manage. If anyone can help us simplify the process and streamline it both for the exam taker and for ourselves it would be incredible.

Requirements:

• 3rd party proctor can view exam taker’s environment and confirm identity
  • Exam taker cannot access exam at any point without proctor present
  • Exam taker can make multiple attempts

Current Process:

• we receive email from exam taker letting us know they would like to take the exam
  • exam taker schedules with proctor**
  • issue them a subscription code (given to proctor)
  • exam taker logs in via proctor portal then launches docebo
  • enrolls in exam via subscription code
  • takes the exam and submits
  • if second attempt needed, must email us
  • I record score, reset exam objects, and unenroll exam taker
  • exam taker schedules with proctor** and process starts again from there

Hi @angel.maenza, I don’t have any immediate recommendations for you to improve this process, though I’d love to learn more from you and others who might have advice. Our team is currently investigating proctoring solutions and hope to build a process that requires less manual intervention than the process you described. 

What 3rd party proctoring service are you currently using?

@Adam Ballhaussen we’re currently using examroom.ai as our proctoring service.

I have come up with a hypothetically plausible solution that I will be testing next week using a password field in a SCORM file as a prerequisite training material to the exam as a lock. I will let you know how this goes and if it is a feasible pathway forward - if it works, creating a new material type that mimics the interaction may be a way you could easily integrate proctoring codes natively. 

@Adam Ballhaussen we finished testing the file and it was successful. We used storyline to create a SCORM document with a text entry field (White text on white background so it can’t be read). If the proctor enters the right password it gets marked correct and the content object is passed. 

We’re using this as a prerequisite training material to the exam. Then using the waiting period option along with the re-complete prerequisites option to re-lock the exam until such time as the proctor re-enters the password for the next attempt.

@angel.maenza this is a really awesome solution. Thank you for sharing! My team has had a few conversations with examroom.ai so far and we really like their technology. We’re considering not doing live proctoring and only using recording/AI anomaly detection. That may alleviate the need for us to manage proctor codes.

@angel.maenza this is a really awesome solution. Thank you for sharing! My team has had a few conversations with examroom.ai so far and we really like their technology. We’re considering not doing live proctoring and only using recording/AI anomaly detection. That may alleviate the need for us to manage proctor codes.

Understood. Certification is such an important part of our business practice and has real monetary implications, so we feel it requires a more secure environment with a live person to verify their identification, make sure other people are not present during the exam and generally ensure cheating does not take place. It is also nice to have a person available to provide support live if something goes amiss.

I can see how using recording/AI anomaly detection might work for some use cases, but especially for external users, it isn’t something we would consider. 

@angel.maenza  I’m curious how you feel this solution is working for you.  We’re currently looking at external delivery platforms but would consider running our certifications within Docebo if the security and user experience were good.

Any thoughts after a couple months using this process?

Hi @Jim Hardy 

In testing this worked wonderfully for us; unfortunately, the proctoring service we are working with does not have the ability to remotely access the participants computer in order to type in the password. As the password is unique to the exam and NOT unique to each user, we were not able to go this route in the end. 

Without this in place, the process is extremely cumbersome from an administrative standpoint and has us considering other options.