How do I choose the best keywords to yield the best content search results?

Hi Docebo Community!

My organization uses Docebo as our primary LMS for internal and customer-facing training content. When we publish elearning content, using Articulate Storyline, we have to option to enter keywords that, presumably, will aid our learners in finding the content.

I wonder if Docebo (or the community) has any best practices to recommend for choosing keywords and how they should be formatted.

For example, if I have a course on fundamentals of programming languages, which approach to my keywords list would be better, or is there an option 3 I’m not seeing?

Option 1: programming, language, languages, fundamental, fundamentals, functional, constructs, program, design, syntax

Option 2: programming language, programming languages, fundamentals, functional programming, language constructs, program design, language syntax

Option 3: …?

Thanks for any advice you can share!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I have fond that simply adding the course title or some part of it in your learning object TAGS will do the trick nicely...if the name is relatively unique, the search results will have that course come up first...it’s all about TAGS in Docebo

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020127199-Using-the-Platform-s-Global-Search

This is really helpful, @lrnlab. Thank you! It’s especially enlightening to see the boost that the right tags can give your course.

Based on your recommendation related to the course name, do you know if it makes a difference how I format that name into the tags? For example, if the course name is Fundamentals of Programming Languages, am I better off to use the comma separators like this: programming, language, languages …?

Or do I need to keep words in groups when they go together, like this: programming language, programming languages …?

I just wonder if the search engine returns the same or different results depending on how the tags are constructed and separated. I hope that makes sense.  :) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @lrnlab are tags only applicable to training material (as opposed to Courses) ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @lrnlab are tags only applicable to training material (as opposed to Courses) ? 

yes, you cannot add tags to an actual course

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

This is really helpful, @lrnlab. Thank you! It’s especially enlightening to see the boost that the right tags can give your course.

Based on your recommendation related to the course name, do you know if it makes a difference how I format that name into the tags? For example, if the course name is Fundamentals of Programming Languages, am I better off to use the comma separators like this: programming, language, languages …?

Or do I need to keep words in groups when they go together, like this: programming language, programming languages …?

I just wonder if the search engine returns the same or different results depending on how the tags are constructed and separated. I hope that makes sense.  :) 

you cannot comma separate words...each word or phrase becomes a tag when you hit enter. If you need the search results to appear first, then use the entire title as a tag. That’ll guarantee a good hit. your second to last paragraph is probably the best if you prefer not to add the entire title.