How do you get Notifications to go out as scheduled?

• 5 October 2023
  • 8 replies

We set up notifications to go out on a schedule and they don’t work consistently.  Docebo Support cannot locate the problem.  Does anyone else have this issue and how did you solve it?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

hi @Erika at ASCIP - can you elaborate a little more please? Has there been any pattern to time of day, when your integrations are running etc? Have you reviewed what your background jobs look like at that scheduled time?

these things should be trackable….

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Erika at ASCIP not sure what you observe, but one thing I noticed is that notifications that are scheduled to happen for example 1 hour after an event, are aggregated to be sent out at the top of the nearest hour after the one-hour mark.

This means, that if two people enrolled in a course, one person at 2:03 p.m. and another person at 2:57 p.m., they will both get the notification at about 4:00 p.m. (as it won’t yet be one hour past the event when the system will be evaluating what to send at 3 p.m.).

I didn’t test this, but I think that the same applies to notifications that are scheduled to be sent X days after the event, they will also be aggregated to the next scheduled time after the number of days already passed. So, if you have a notification configured to be sent 1 day after the event at 9 a.m., If the person enrolls at 10 a.m. on Monday, on Tuesday at 9 it won’t yet be a day after the event, and they will get notified on Wednesday. 

hi @Erika at ASCIP - can you elaborate a little more please? Has there been any pattern to time of day, when your integrations are running etc? Have you reviewed what your background jobs look like at that scheduled time?

No Pattern to it at all.  We have worked with Support for 18 months trying different settings.  They have verified we have it set up correctly.  Sometimes the notifications are sent as planned.  Others not at all.  A few weeks ago, we identified a longstanding DKIM error on Docebo’s side and hoped that would resolve the issue.  It has not.  Docebo Support told me to reach out to users here.

@alekwo  Thank you for the input.  It’s not that the notifications are delayed in any way.  They simply are not sent at all and we don’t know they have not been sent until our members complain.  We have been forced to send out notifications manually.  We never know when it will or will not work as programmed.  Docebo Support has given us different settings to try, but can’t locate the problem.  How would you approach this problem?

Userlevel 4

hi @Erika at ASCIP - can you elaborate a little more please? Has there been any pattern to time of day, when your integrations are running etc? Have you reviewed what your background jobs look like at that scheduled time?

No Pattern to it at all.  We have worked with Support for 18 months trying different settings.  They have verified we have it set up correctly.  Sometimes the notifications are sent as planned.  Others not at all.  A few weeks ago, we identified a longstanding DKIM error on Docebo’s side and hoped that would resolve the issue.  It has not.  Docebo Support told me to reach out to users here.

Have you discussed this with your own IT department? It’s possible it may not be something on Docebo’s end. It could something in your own network architecture that’s holding up delivery, such as security protocols.

Have you discussed this with your own IT department? It’s possible it may not be something on Docebo’s end. It could something in your own network architecture that’s holding up delivery, such as security protocols.

Yes, our IT department has repeatedly worked the problem from our end.  We have everything set up per the Docebo requirements.    I was hoping to find someone in the community that may have experienced this.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@alekwo   How would you approach this problem?

It would be important to learn if they are not generated by Docebo, or if they are going out from Docebo but are getting lost on the way. 

Did you enable the CC function for all outgoing emails (in Advanced Settings)? It may help to understand what is being sent out from the system and to look into the source code of the message to track if there is anything odd. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Erika at ASCIP  - yes, we just encountered a similar issue with notifications triggered 2 days ahead of the scheduled session time, instead of the 1 day ahead notification promised by the notification. 

There seems to be a lot of confusion from community members. 

The documentation states: 

The notification will be sent to recipients a certain amount of time before the event (e.g. before a webinar session begins). Once you flag this option, select how many hours, days or weeks in advance the notification will be sent. If you're configuring the notification to be sent X number of days or weeks in advance, you can also set the exact hour that it will be sent (exact hour intervals only, not half hours).

We set our notification to trigger one day before the event at 19:00, but instead was sent 2 days ahead of the event at 19:00. 

I might also recommend that you copy another mailbox on all of your outbound messages so that you can confirm emails are going out.