Best Answer

How to manage multilanguage courses?

• 1 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi everybody,

I’m wondering if there is a best practice (or best LX) for multilanguage courses or learning contents.

For example, if I have the same content available in multiple languages, should I rather create one course for each language (increasing exponentially the elements to maintain) and make them equivalent with respect to LP’s, or gather the whole collection of contents in a single course where the learner chooses their language as in a folder?

The best outcome would be the platform to show the learner only the content in their language (as the platform renders), while right now we have some courses with the “language folders” and some other where content editors have a lot of manual work maintaining.

Is there a best practice by Docebo? Otherwise, what compromise should we choose?

Thank you very much.

Mauro

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 1 October 2021, 20:41

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @MauroBorghesi check out this post:

you could look to leverage the Central Repository to house your content so it can more easily be added to your courses. The CR tracks completions so if someone completed an object once, it is always tracked as completed wherever you use it (this could reduce/eliminate the risk of users having to redo a course…

That said, you could also look to house ALL language objects in a single course and making each object and “End object marker” (under Settings) so what whatever object the user chooses to complete, it will mark the course as completed (please test this thoroughly!).

If you do decide to create multiple courses, you can create matching catalogues by language and follow the ideas put forth in he attached blog.

Sadly there is no way to localize courses or content a this time but if memory serves this was something that Docebo is working on (someone may correct me on this point...).

TIP: Not sure how many languages you are deploying...we use only 2 (En, Fr)...I have found a number of small gaps and glitches in the French Canadian language pack so I highly recommend thorough testing of your site in various languages to make sure the experience, context and terms are what you need them to be across each language

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In our compliance courses we have did what @lrnlab suggests - added several SCORM files with different language versions to a single course, and marked each SCORM as end object marker.

This generally works, well, however, quite a few people are getting confused by the progress bar, which once the course is completed is showing them 2 out of 6 modules completed or 33% completion… and they would like to get to 100% :-)

We did try creating separate Docebo courses for different languages, however, there is no way to mark them as equivalent on the catalog level - so learners will be default see all language version in their catalog, making the view very cluttered (they can filter by language, but this requires extra work).

Another option (which we didn’t yet tested) is to add language versions within the SCORM file (can be done with some authoring tools - e.g. Adapt Learning).

From what we have learned from our CSM at Docebo, they are planning a new tool for managing multi-language course content (among other features). Maybe reach out to your rep to learn more.