ILT Sessions & Events CSV Bulk Upload Issue

• 13 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Currently testing how to make it “easier” to create ILT sessions/events in bulk. We have encounter a couple of issues, especially on how to add multiple instructors to a session/event. I found a post talking about it, but not actually showing the format that needs to be followed.

Also, has anybody found a better way to manage ILT session scheduling, as the UI from Docebo really is cumbersome to work with for mass scheduling? I was thinking on building a Macro in excel with our pre-built parameters, to ease the work of our admins.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

We have a significant number of ILTs. I have not found a bulk solution at this time, either in the interface or the API Explorer. Our current strategy is to create ILT courses, and then setup “golden” sessions that are provisioned as much as possible. When we trained the instructors to create sessions we had them start with duplicating the “golden” session and then adjust it to their needs. Once they were comfortable with how things worked they were able to just duplicate their sessions and make adjustments.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

we created a template that holds both the Session and Event data on 1 sheet. Since the import tool only allows certian fields to be uploaded for each entity, I can use the same template to create the sessions, then backfill the session unique IDs into the template and use it to create the events...work quite well

Thanks @lrnlab  - on the template you created, did you just bulk all the fields for both sessions and events in one sheet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I have created multiple processes, some for bulk creation based on some simple CSV data, and some that let end users enter the sessions quicker and easier than the built in interface. They use a few different tricks but heavily rely on the API for generating and really help. The csv lets a couple of groups make a schedule of their sessions a month (a couple hundred each a month) and just drop the file into a drop folder, and it creates the sessions, events, calendar invites, and more. Super useful. Detailed writeups on both of these are coming soon as part of a series I am working on, the first can be found here: The Art of Being Lazy: Leveraging the API to Take Care of Repetitive Tasks & Fill Feature Gaps | Community (docebo.com)

If you are interested, I encourage you to follow along.

The ILT scheduling process is really inherently broken in the system right now, especially the bulk methods. The only real path to any large usage scenario is to build out a better solution.