Best Answer

Implementing Surveys on Training Materials

• 27 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hello amazing Docebo people...

I have received a request to add a survey after every training material in a course (and for a lot of courses - over 100 courses).

First thing that comes to mind is creating a survey in the central repository and reusing it, right...makes sense. But if I have to add a survey for each training material, then I need multiple surveys in the central Repository since I can’t add the same training material to any one course. Not necessarily one survey per training material, but one for the highest number of training materials I would have in any course (right now that is about 7, but could go higher). 

• Survey 1
  • Survey 2
  • Survey 3, etc.

Then put Survey 1 after the first training material, Survey 2 after the second and so on...

Another thing - having a training material in the central repository named in a way to keep in straight in all courses also is a challenge since I can’t rename the training material in the course to be unique. So using 1, 2, 3, etc. is not great...but doable. :p 

Question to the group : Is this a common practice? I mean adding a survey per training material vs having a survey per course?

Looking for feedback and potentially other ideas.

When I asked for the “Why” for this specific request, it was to be able to gather feedback per training material so we can focus on needs/feedback per training material for redevelopment or updates vs overall feedback from courses.

If you need any clarification for this question, please just let me know. I tried to include the things I thought about. Thanks in advance. Kind regards, Jeanette

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 30 January 2023, 15:41

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@JeanetteMcVeigh  You plan isn’t uncommon… I do something similar. I think the thing to remember is that the right thing is always what delivers the results you want in the easiest manner possible.

One thing to remember is that you have to look at reporting. LMS Surveys, and quizzes, are pretty difficult (imho) for getting the data OUT of the LMS.  You have to manually open the course and export the data on the training material. I’d recommend exploring this part of the process before deciding that an LMS survey is the way to go. You might find an external survey tool to be more appropriate for a project of this size.

Regards,

KMallette/Viasat, Inc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

if you want to use the same survey for each course but have individual results for each course, you can create in the content repository but make sure to select “Local Tracking”. if you do not choose this option, anyone who completes the survey in one course will show as completed everywhere else it’s being used.

It is much easier to assign to courses via CLOR (content repository)

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@lrnlab - that I know. This rub here is having more than one survey in a course if the course has more than one training material in it. 

For instance, a course has 3 SCORM packages as 3 different training material and one video as another - so 4 training materials total. The request is to have one survey for each of these. So, I can reuse Survey 1 in multiple course, using the local tracking that you refer to, but I can not use Survey 1, 4 times in the same course. It would have to be something like

• Survey 1
  • Survey 2
  • Survey 3
  • Survey 4

all in once course, set to local tracking, so I can use them in other courses with more than one training material.

Thanks for the feedback for sure...

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@KMallette - I agree, reporting is the bear for this one with the use of APIs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@JeanetteMcVeigh sounds like you’d be better off including your surveys in your SCORM packages and linking out to a survey tool from within the course package...probably easier for users too if it’s all embedded.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@JeanetteMcVeigh sounds like you’d be better off including your surveys in your SCORM packages and linking out to a survey tool from within the course package...probably easier for users too if it’s all embedded.

Unfortunately, I think you are right. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi 

@lrnlab - that I know. This rub here is having more than one survey in a course if the course has more than one training material in it. 

For instance, a course has 3 SCORM packages as 3 different training material and one video as another - so 4 training materials total. The request is to have one survey for each of these. So, I can reuse Survey 1 in multiple course, using the local tracking that you refer to, but I can not use Survey 1, 4 times in the same course. It would have to be something like

• Survey 1
  • Survey 2
  • Survey 3
  • Survey 4

all in once course, set to local tracking, so I can use them in other courses with more than one training material.

Thanks for the feedback for sure...

My gut instinct and empirical evidence is more towards making a course for as smaller a module as possible. That way you just have to add only one survey per module. And should there be any need for permutations or combinations of the courses, LP is always a much better way. 

But I agree reporting piece is a cumbersome one. 

Userlevel 3

We have the same requirement, but do a 1:1 course to training material, and then just push the appropriate survey to each course from the central repository.  It’s helped us manage completions and keep the content from being less overwhelming to the user.