Skip to main content

Hello,

I am changing an onboarding dashboard from catalogs to channels for new sales engineers and wish to enable self-enrollment in learning plans for the users. Although the users can view both catalogs and channels, when I modify the dashboard to display only the channels, the learning plans become invisible. Am I overlooking a setting?

Did you add your LP to your channel? You might also check that none of the courses in the LP require admin approval (not sure if it’s the same as with courses; those with this settings do not appear in the Channels, sadly)

Admin:

@lrnlab - Yes, I have given group access to the learning plan, the catalog, and the channel. I have checked every setting that I have found to allow this. The one user who is enrolled in the LP can see everything, but the others cannot. I seem to recall being able to do this before. I worked with help chat and they led me to some kb articles, but I am still struggling.

@lrnlab - Yes, I have given group access to the learning plan, the catalog, and the channel. I have checked every setting that I have found to allow this. The one user who is enrolled in the LP can see everything, but the others cannot. I seem to recall being able to do this before. I worked with help chat and they led me to some kb articles, but I am still struggling.

One thing I’ve noticed about channels is that the content (in my case courses) fail to display until the user is enrolled in the content. I’ve not tried LPs in a channels so I can’t say that this is the case, but you might test that and see.

@KMallette - I learned that if I have the course in a catalog that they have visibility for, the course will show up in the channel. I do not display the catalog, but I do have to create one for them to see the course in the channel.

@KMallette - I learned that if I have the course in a catalog that they have visibility for, the course will show up in the channel. I do not display the catalog, but I do have to create one for them to see the course in the channel.

@sigamoline  For the courses I put in a channel, I don’t have a catalog. Interesting.

How do you set the visibility for your channel? How are you assigning the users in the catalog?

@KMallette - I create a catalog and assign the group or branch. This is the catalog that will not be displayed. I then add whatever courses I want that will be displayed in the channel.

I then create the channel, add the group or branch to the visibility section, and then add the courses from the catalog that was just created.

SO, I do not understand why my LP is not displaying unless the user is enrolled in it.

@sigamoline Yea, I tried to add a LP to my channel, and even enrolled a person into it.  They didn’t see the LP in the channel on their dashboard...so I’m reproducing your issue.

@KMallette - If they are enrolled in the LP, they should be able to see it. That is odd.

I just tested this again and looked at the LP KB article...while the article is not explicitly clear about how user can/should see LP’s in Channels, it states broadly that I they have visibility to the channel and the catalogue the LP is in, they should be able to buy it or enrol, depending on the LP settings. 

When I tested, this is not working as they stated since the LP only appears once I am enrolled (as in my example above...I realized was already enrolled in it...so my bad)

That said, for courses, it’s different...as long the user has access to the course in a catalogue they can see it in the Channel (as long and the course does not require admin approval for enrolments and is open for enrolments).

Snippet from KB article: makes no mention that the users need to be enrolled in the LP

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020083980-Creating-and-managing-learning-plans#h_01HV3QRF5Q4JYRRNGXYQNWVJ28

they may need to update the article...I will challenge support and get back to you...

just found this:

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020124219-Creating-and-managing-channels#h_01HAVBV3SHH3Z14S10B380D7HG

Sadness. Thank you @lrnlab. I will not be able to mix my assets and LPs in one channel. I appreciate your help.

Just finishing chat with support and they confirm they LP’s cannot be viewed in channels unless enrolled. I asked them ti update/augment the KB articles so it’s clearer as what we can do with with channels (since the LP’s do not work the same as courses)...sadly another feature that is not fully thought through...cant wait for the Idea portal to open again...😉

@lrnlab I agree!

Confirmed any support...here’s their reply:

After much research, I can confirm that it is expected behaviour for the platform to not show the learning plan in channels unless the learner is enrolled.

In the Creating and managing channels article:

{While being granted visibility over a channel is sufficient for a user to see any informal learning content published in it, the same does not apply to formal content (courses and learning plans). To be able to see a learning plan published in a channel they have visibility on, users have to be enrolled in the learning plan. Learners cannot see learning plans available for self-enrollment in channels.}

It is also expected that the learning plan will not be clickable from the channel settings, as it is not designed to be a hyperlink. This behaviour has been tested across multiple client instances and confirmed internally.

Not quite what we wanted to hear but it is what it is.

Interesting that they state: While being granted visibility over a channel is sufficient for a user to see any informal learning content published in it, the same does not apply to formal content (courses and learning plans).

I am able to show courses (enrolled and unenrolled).

I hope that does not change.

Agree!…

was thinking about how to get visibility to an LP from within the channel and best I could come up with to get them to enrol, would be to have a document explaining the learning path with a link to the LP (using the LP enrolment link)...or something to that effect…

Then once they are enrolled, the Channel content would make more sense and you can direct them back to the channel as a starting point (depending I guess on what’s in the channel, etc).

That is exactly what we said we would do! In the welcome email, have a link to the LP so they automatically enroll.

This is garbage. There is no rhyme or reason to courses, assets, catalogs, channels, learning plans, etc.  Zero alignment or strategy.  Docebo has a few decent features but overall the last few years we are finding too many issues with zero improvement.  

Most likely not renewing our contract.