Skip to main content

I have a requirement for a private session. We want to use the LMS for registration and tracking but only for select users. We do not want all users to see it. We also have open sessions for this course. 

So two ways we went about handling this, neither is perfect:

1. The groups of visibility were always the same so we split the courses into multiple courses and setup cross credit between them. Users were only assigned the course with sessions they were supposed to see. 
  2. When that didn’t work, we took over the enrollment process essentially. We have a scheduling tool for these which auto-enrolls those eligible at preset intervals. When the tool creates these sessions it sets the self-enrollment date of the session to the prior day so users can’t ever self enroll but power users and instructors still can add manual when needed. 

Hi @dianex.gomez not to my knowledge...we have 2 versions of this scenario in use...In the first, we use the Session Name and add text like, “RESERVED” or “For XXXX only” and so on...this relies on the user reading and understanding what the text means which is not always perfect. The 2nd is using manual enrolments managed by an admin; again not perfect.

You could also look to enable a waitlist and asking your private group to place themselves on the waitlist and then manage enrolments into the private session from the waitlist; essentially you would not add the private session until those users were on the waitlist.

Hopefully the anticipated updates to ILT coming this year will help to alleviate some of these pain points.

Couple things to be aware of in these scenarios:

1. If you do the name and trust folks to do things correctly, and depending on your branch setup/management, Instructors may not be able to see/remove folks who should not be, this was our case (also people ignored the name thing A LOT and it became more work to manage than to control).
  2. Same thing with the waitlist as exists, if an admin still needs to approve, it became more work or the same work except the user then has to do effort too, so ended up siding into the control over manage direction.

Because of these is how we ended up managing enrollments based on status basically, so daily reports on who is eligible and should be taking the course basically triggers their enrollment, are they enrolled and not started or in progress, enroll. 

Hi, I posted this idea 10 months ago if you want to vote for it…

Hi, I posted this idea 10 months ago if you want to vote for it…

Thanks for this, had missed it!

Hi all! The idea linked above has been merged with an older idea. Here is the current idea to follow if you are interested in this potentially becoming a feature: