Best Answer

Javascript Embeds instead of iframes

• 21 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi,

Is there any way to add a JavaScript based embed code on a page or course? I would prefer to embed a video from our vendor this way over iframe, but don’t see a way to do it, I’m pretty sure the answer is no, but thought I’d check to see if someone had a workaround?

Thanks!
Brian

icon

Best answer by natemadel 23 July 2021, 17:26

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hey Brian, 

We don’t offer JS injection in the platform save for the Zendesk App, and the Google Analytics App. In general JS injection represents a large security risk for the application, which has been the basis of this decision to date. 

A possible solution is to have an external webpage with your JS components, then this can be iframed into the LMS as an external page (assuming this webpage is configured to allow itself to be iframed)

Nate

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks, totally understand the rationale. I was trying to figure out a way to have the drop down for join buttons for iLT classroom courses to be open by default, had tried some custom css but the actual content in the drop down doesn’t exist until you click it the first time it seems, so was trying to just do a simulated click on page load so the external setup would not work in this case unfortunately. Will make the suggestion to allow an option for open/closed default on these pages on the ideas area and troll for votes. 
Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Roger. There is an idea that I think is along the same lines, quite a popular one. If you search “Provide Join Webinar Button on the Session Lists” in the ideas portal, it should come up. 

We are thinking of implementing some new design strategy for our course pages and this could fall within that effort, but a bit early to share a timeline. Rest assured we’re trying!

Userlevel 4
Badge

@natemadel  Would be so good to be able to add some simple JS into pages! To be able to create some dynamic pages with expandable/collapsible divs would be great. Another LMS I have used allowed the majority of page formatting JS but blocked quite a lot of other functions, which meant we could create some nice dynamic content. Just a thought...

Completely agree with @Richard.Harknett . Adding custom javascript has been a fairly standard offering in most platforms I have used. In my use-case, I want to add our own 3rd-party chat program -- not Zendesk -- to connect with our users.