Question

Learning plan 100% complete with expired course

• 12 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi

An example, we have a learning plan with 5 courses, all 5 courses complete so learning plan showing as 100%, thats good. However 1 course then expires so I would expect the learning plan to the drop back down to 80%. We were reporting on learning plans to know how compliant are employees are. Is this working as expected, is this a bug and does anyone know a way around it?

Thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@gemmalittle Unfortunately, any change to courses within a learning plan affects the completion of the learning plan as a whole.  This includes adding/removing courses and changes in course status.

I’m not aware of any workarounds. This behavior is what I’ve seen in several different LMS platforms that I’ve used.

I don’t use learning plans when I know that a course has an expiration date. But I do have to handle adding/removing courses from learning plans. When those situations arise (somewhat infrequently), I end up creating a new learning plan, and then moving the incomplete enrollments (like those still in progress) to the new LP.  A real pain to do but that’s the closest I’ve come to a work around.

If you are using expiration dates, then maybe use enrollment rules to assign all of the courses (that had been in the LP), and then adjust your reporting to report only on the course level. Again, not the most efficient, but maybe could get you the same results.

Good luck!

@KMallette/Viasat, Inc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I usually end up just building a report to calculate the completion status based on in-house rules instead of system rules. In this case I use the course status instead of learning plan and then have learning plan reference tables to calculate it out. Bit of a setup initially, but then just need to swap the data sets from the docebo reports to update.