Skip to main content

Hey, folks! I’m coming up blank on my testing and conversations with Support. I thought I’d turn to the hive for other thoughts.

Scenario:

We are launching a manager training program. This program will consist of 5 virtual instructor-led training sessions. In a perfect world, we would get each participant to enroll in all five courses but these courses could be completed in any order over a long period of time (let’s say 6 months). We’d want them to complete the first session (101 level) before the others, but then they could do the remaining 4 sessions in any order (does this feel like a word problem yet?). Then we’d need to track completions (we base attendance on a manual assessment done by a producer during the session) and send out completion certificates when they’ve competed all five within the allotted time.

Current Speedbumps:

• We cannot identify a way that would prohibit the user from signing up for sessions 2-5 before session 1. The issue, of course, is chronology. They could enroll in live session #2 that takes place before the live session #1 if they wanted to (against all recommendations, warnings, notices, reminders). I thought about some fancy conditions to prevent enrolling in #2-5 but we don’t want any persistence issues with folks completing #1 and never going back to enroll in the remaining courses. Also, scheduling is critical - the thought 
  • To track these folks’ completion, we are looking for some automation that would help funnel the graduates into a completed group and give us a report on that group. Notifications is a loss for me here. I can make a group that siphons people in when they complete all five courses - (thinking aloud here) maybe I just need a weekly report based on that group to automate the findings. It’s not gonna be immediate, but it would be frequent enough to be a useful workflow.
  • Organizing the experiences. I’m leaning towards 5 distinct courses because putting this into some sort of cohorted Session/Event structure in one course sounds like a nightmare for schedulers. It’s going to be all 5 courses run at least 6 times. Learning Plans don’t work because they’re linear. I’m leaning towards a catalog or channel just to put them all in the same place, but might not even do that.

Anyone trying anything similar? Feels like we’re trying to do gymnastics, but we’ll see.

if I understand your use case correctly, what if you create a group based on the completion of course #1, the you can either assign the remaining course using Enrolment Rules or assign a catalogue with the remaining courses if there is no specific order fo completion. This would make sure your users must complete course 1 before any of the rest. You can also do this with channel access based on a group; and by extension, manage any notifications you want to send out.

if I understand your use case correctly, what if you create a group based on the completion of course #1, the you can either assign the remaining course using Enrolment Rules or assign a catalogue with the remaining courses if there is no specific order fo completion. This would make sure your users must complete course 1 before any of the rest. You can also do this with channel access based on a group; and by extension, manage any notifications you want to send out.

I have two hold-ups on that route:

1. We want them to register for all sessions at one time and as early as possible. Forcing them to wait for sign-up could impact persistence and scheduling. I’d love some sort of conditional logic that if they enroll in a March Session #1, then they could only enroll in Sessions #2-5 after March - but that they could do all of the sign-ups at one time. This is probably some premium Calendly feature now that I think of it.
  2. Their completion status of Session #1 will depend on manual intervention. So they will have to not only wait until they’ve done the session but until the producer marks attendance. Humans in the workflow raises the risk of accuracy.

for #1, I understand however there is no way to automatically register users into sessions. Even managers cannot do this. Only users or admin can so that may be a Wishlist item for you.  An admin can run an import to enroll users if they dont need to select dates, etc. Perhaps your manual tracking process in #2, can include another step to add those users to a spreadsheet you can use to register them int he remaining sessions…??

As for #2 - tracking...is this by choice? or can you add something to allow the user to be marked as completed automatically; like an acknowledgment in the form of a 1 question test or some thing similar?