Question

Multiple Answer Scoring

• 20 June 2022
  • 7 replies

I have a multipole choice question with 3 possible answers.  All of the answers are correct.  I want to setup this question so that if they select number 1, 2 and 3 or any combination i.e. 2,3 or just 1 that that it scores the question as correct.  However, I only want 1 point for the total score.   

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @Merejay you can assign different points to each answer choice, so 0.33, 0.33 & 0.34 will add up to 1. Not sure you can get any combination to add up to 1 if they only choose only 2 of the 3

Userlevel 1

Is it also possible to setup the question in such a way that the learner needs to give all correct answers in order to receive points? And if the learner only provides some correct answers then they receive no points?

For example, in compliance training you might have a question about requirements that all need to be fullfilled. ie “To gain access to this nuclear facility you need to wear 3 items”. 

Conor

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Conor not sure since each correct answer choice should provide some points...unless you only add points to 1 of the 3 correct answers but that wont be a perfect solution either...another option to test would be to add a negative score for the wrong answer but that may also affect the over question score and not necessarily bring it to zero.

e.g.: 

Answer 1 = +0.33 (correct)

Answer 2 = +0.33 (correct)

Answer 3 = +0.34 (correct)

Answer 4 = -1.00 (incorrect)

If user chooses all 3 correct they get 1pt, if they choose 1 correct only, they get 0.33 points, if they choose 1 correct + 1 incorrect, they get -0.67 points, and so on.

Another option that just popped in my mind...if the answers are fairly standard text, you could use a fill-in-the-blank option and ask for all 3 answers in order to get the full points...

Userlevel 1

@Irnlab: Thanks for your reply, today I found another thread on the community: 

It appears you can change the behavior of multiple choice question in the advanced settings. I haven't tried it out yet, but this looks like what we were looking for.

Userlevel 3

It appears you can change the behavior of multiple choice question in the advanced settings. I haven't tried it out yet, but this looks like what we were looking for.

Yeah, we use that option (Advanced Settings > E-Learning > Options). That aligns with how, for example, Articulate typically scores, so “no partial credit” so to speak, which is what I want.

The annoying thing though is that override is for only multiple choice (sort of a misnomer, which Articulate refers to as “multiple response”), not “Association” (aka matching) questions, another Q type where, by definition, you typically have two+ correct (as many answers as you want).

Example: Suppose you have 4 answers in an Association Q, the Q is worth 1 point so each answer when matched correctly, or 0.25 points each answer. In this Q type, the user earns partial credit regardless of that setting. Bloop! So be aware of “odd” scores higher than you’d assume.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Yeah, we use that option (Advanced Settings > E-Learning > Options). That aligns with how, for example, Articulate typically scores, so “no partial credit” so to speak, which is what I want.

The annoying thing though is that override is for only multiple choice (sort of a misnomer, which Articulate refers to as “multiple response”), not “Association” (aka matching) questions, another Q type where, by definition, you typically have two+ correct (as many answers as you want).

Example: Suppose you have 4 answers in an Association Q, the Q is worth 1 point so each answer when matched correctly, or 0.25 points each answer. In this Q type, the user earns partial credit regardless of that setting. Bloop! So be aware of “odd” scores higher than you’d assume.

that’s why are not using this option...it’s too broad.

Hello, I have followed the thread above and I have the problem that if the learner selects all the answers available, both right and wrong, it still marks the score with full marks. 

I don’t want to go down the route of negative marking to even out the score on the question so thought I would ask here first if anyone has a solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks