Power users assigning learning plans via CSV

• 6 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I am starting to setup client power users. This is great until I get to where they would create users via CSV files. We create users internally via CSV and use additional fields and put the users in groups and use enrollment rules to assign the learning plan for each user. However, when I multiply this times the number clients that will be a large number of additional fields and groups. During onboarding I was told there is a limit of 50 additional fields and 500 groups. There must be a way to accomplish this that I’m not seeing. Any help would be appreciated.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Can you explain your logic for your additional fields some more? Is there a way to use 1 where you had been using multiple before?

Do all of your enrollment rules need to be based on the groups? Can the groups just be used for essentially initial items to be enrolled in, and then use completion rules to enroll in further learning plans?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Our clients are siloed. We don’t want client A to see anything about client B.  So, each is in their own branch and has their own learning plans. If I consolidate the additional fields (we use a dropdown for the elements) then client A would see client B elements and we would end up with a lot of scrolling.

I just need to assign a learning plan from the CSV file that gets uploaded to add users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Ah, sounds like a case for extended enterprise and separate instances for clients, but understood. You cannot enroll via the create user upload. I’ve gotten around the additional field problem before by not making it a dropdown, but basically a text field since it was being set programmatically anyways and hidden from end users, but doesn’t sound like you would want that route.

Is everyone in a branch being enrolled into the same starter learning plan/courses? Can you set your enrollment rule based on branches rather than groups?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

If I use Branches instead of groups, I still have to use additional fields with a CSV file, correct?

How does the text field work? When you used it what did the user have to enter in the CSV file to connect it to the LP?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If I use Branches instead of groups, I still have to use additional fields with a CSV file, correct?

• How are you assigning the users to their branches currently? I assumed that was happening in the CSV file for user creation, then the enrollment rule just runs based on the user being in the branch. No additional field needed, as long as everyone in that branch is falling into the same enrollment rule.

How does the text field work? When you used it what did the user have to enter in the CSV file to connect it to the LP?

• Its the same idea as the dropdown, but accepts any entry since you do not have it restricted to the defined dropdown, and then users only see the current value, no others. This is generally a bad route since you can end up with bad data, I only go this route when setting things programmatically, so your CSV file would be doing the setting. 
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I find enrollment rules very confusing. I think I was overcomplicating it. Ok. I think we have a winner. As long as we separate the users into branches based on LP needed, it should work easily. And, yes, we are assigning the branch in the CSV file.

Thanks for your help!