Prevent duplicate enrollment

• 3 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Is there a way to prevent learners from enrolling into a course they have previously completed? 

We have courses in multiple languages and modalities.  We do not allow learners to receive credit for the same content taken in different configuration.  Context: our learners are paid for course completion and will not be paid for taking the same content twice). I am struggling with how to gate enrollment so they are not enrolling for courses that are really the same course just in a different format.  

We looked at setting equivalencies and this does not seem to achieve what we are looking for.  It appears that using equivalencies, we end up with learners who have “completion” set for multiple courses when they take one of the equivalent courses.  This is the opposite of what we want to happen. 

Has anyone found a way to say learner completed course A (with Additional Field course code = x) so hide courses b, c, d, etc (with same Additional Field value) in the catalog?  We are dealing with 50,000 learners monthly, so I’m unable to use something like “Pending Approval” for manual intervention.  

Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.  

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Here’s a question, can you just add a disclaimer to the description or somewhere on the multi-version courses that they won’t receive credit for completing multiple, and then I would imagine the money is processed by someone using reporting? Can’t they just add some conditionals to look for certain multiple courses so that they don’t count more than 1? Actually, in that scenario the equivalencies might help since 1. The reports would always show them all if one was completed (easier formulas) and 2. Since they are complete, they are removed as options to enroll in and complete seperately?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @hwolfehall 

Two things could/should help here.

1. Equivalents. Set up bi-directional equivalents to cover content in language. For example, Course 1 - English is equivalent to Course 1 - Spanish
  2. The Central Repository: If you have multiple course shells in the same language that use the same training materials, then put the training material into the Central Repository the first time you upload it, and then “draw” it from the Central Repository for any subsequent course shells that need that same content.

Regards,

KMallette/Viasat, Inc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

hmmm if they already completed the course they are already enrolled into it...Are you saying that they are finding it in the catalogue and because the catalogue does NOT display whether the course was already completed, they try and re-enrol? The catalogue DOES display a note stating they are already enrolled though. There is not way to ‘block’ them from finding the same course in the catalogue but when they try and enrol, they would see it’s already completed...

Userlevel 5
Badge

hmmm if they already completed the course they are already enrolled into it...Are you saying that they are finding it in the catalogue and because the catalogue does NOT display whether the course was already completed, they try and re-enrol? The catalogue DOES display a note stating they are already enrolled though. There is not way to ‘block’ them from finding the same course in the catalogue but when they try and enrol, they would see it’s already completed...

Correct.  For some insane reason, there isn’t a way to HIDE completed courses in the catalog.  And yes, they absolutely can “take” it again and get a new completion date.  I haven’t found a way to prevent them from “completing” it again.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Correct.  For some insane reason, there isn’t a way to HIDE completed courses in the catalog.  And yes, they absolutely can “take” it again and get a new completion date.  I haven’t found a way to prevent them from “completing” it again.  

there are several IDEAS posted on getting the catalogue to show that a course is completed but I think Docebo is not perusing this.

As for taking the course again, it should not allow them to better their score or change the original completion date even if they try it again. What type of content are you using? Does it allow to be reset? If it’s SCORM that may be part of the issue. In that case you can try setting this option in your content:

Userlevel 5
Badge

Yes.  We have that disclaimer all over the place in platform.  We still have learners that don’t understand it or disregard it. 

1. The challenge we have with the equivalencies all showing as Completed when any one is Completed...is that their record shows 4 courses completed.  It screws up our completion records. Our transcripts have to indicate which language they completed.  So far in my testing, when equivalents all “complete” I can’t tell which one was actually completed by the learner.   
  2. Completed courses are not really removed from options to be able to “complete” again.  From what I’ve seen.  Unless we turn off the ability for them to review previous training material at all, then they can go through the material again and set a new completion record.  At least, that is what’s happening in our testing...
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

agree, you may want to vote this one up