Redirect from User profile update

Userlevel 5
Badge
  • Helper I
  • 79 replies

Hey,

So we ask our newly registered users for various information, and based on the information they give us, they are placed in the relevant groups. Our menus are based on these groups so that different groups of people have different “home pages”.

However, the additional information/profile page where they enter the information seems to not redirect users to the root of the domain when update is clicked, but instead, the “home page” that they were previously going to before they gave us the information (which will have changed the “home page” that they should see).

Has anyone done any magic to solve this in the past?

TIA

Maz

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Maz I have learned that the Docebo pages do not always auto refresh so you might try asking your users to hit refresh once they have updated their info to see if that helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks for the reply @lrnlab but that’s not the issue.

The page they’re heading for before they are intercepted by the required user fields pop up is (as an example) https://mydomain.com/pages/27 and then you update your info, get put into a new group, whereupon your new homepage should be https://mydomain.com/pages/35 but, on clicking the update button, the user is still taken to https://mydomain.com/pages/27

If they try to load https://mydomain.com then it will correctly load the https://mydomain.com/pages/35 page that they SHOULD see because of their group membership.

Hope that makes sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

hmmm...and your menus are based on a use being part of group and not a branch, correct? Did you confirm the user is indeed part of the intended group?

Another thought is since you send them to a default page to start, they may need to sign off and back on for the changes to take effect...Docebo is not always clear on when a refresh works vs. having to log out and back in.

If that is the case, perhaps you can find a spot to add some text to let your users know they would need to sign out after updating their profile...just a guess though as it’s tough to diagnose without actually seeing the issue...

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Another potential creative “workaround” if you’re not able to hijack that redirect URL is to make the default home page a very simple design that advises the user to log out and sign back in for their profile to properly update and load their customized learning journey or some other fancy blibbity blah blah blah wording that makes it sound like it’s by design. 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I did a workaround for a similar thing but not their homepage where I had them on a custom page using an embedded form to set their choices. I have a fake submit on the form it triggers some api processes in the background part of which forces them into the proper groups, they receive a processing message for about 5-10 seconds while this runs, and then when complete reports back the form forces a parent window redirect to their new homepage. Not simple for sure, but worked well. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you all for your interesting replies. I shall have a fiddle and see what I can get to work.

@Bfarkas if you have any more info on how you implemented your api solution, I would be interested. I have questions such as… how do you intercept only the users getting asked for required fields and not everyone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

AH, so my idea was for a similar concept not identical to this, so it was after users were in the system and making changes essentially. The form was on a custom page that users were directed to at certain times based on like course completions or learning plan completions. Sometimes it was a banner ad on the top of the current home page which identified the users, sometimes it was a direct link via email notification, etc.

Userlevel 5
Badge

An update.

I now have another automatic group. And a default landing page.

Everyone is destined for the default landing page, which essentially gets them to click to reload the root URL.

They *should* be redirected before they hit this page if they’re in the relevant groups to either the new user page, or the standard landing page.

it seems to work.

Thank you all for your input that allowed my brain to connect the dots.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

An update.

I now have another automatic group. And a default landing page.

Everyone is destined for the default landing page, which essentially gets them to click to reload the root URL.

They *should* be redirected before they hit this page if they’re in the relevant groups to either the new user page, or the standard landing page.

it seems to work.

Thank you all for your input that allowed my brain to connect the dots.

Nice! The one thing to keep in mind is sometimes group enrollment gets delayed off of changes, especially when lots of other system things going on, but sounds generally like a nice solve.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Yes, in that situation they would just keep going to the page that says to reload the home page… so eventually it will fix itself. I hope :-D

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes, in that situation they would just keep going to the page that says to reload the home page… so eventually it will fix itself. I hope :-D

Tis true!

Could just see some support requests off that (we had for the similar originally), that’s why I ended up the api route eventually, forced the enrollment.