Renewing certification with another course

• 20 October 2023
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Everyone

In the Training Certifications and Retraining Learner Guide it states:

“Renewing with Other Courses or Learning Plans

If you cannot retake the same course to renew the certification, when you click on:

• Renew Certification on the page of the course or the learning plan or
  • Renew Now on the Certification tab of the My Activities page, or
  • Renew on the Certifications to Renew tab of the Task List widget

you will land on the Certifications & Retraining tab of the My Activities page listing the courses and the learning plans you can take to recertify. Click on the course or learning plan card to start the training.”

We have a few courses where recertification requires the completion of a different course.
How do I set this up so that Learners can see the recertification course when time comes for them to renew their training?

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by SarahBee 23 October 2023, 20:13

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Just tested to see how it works...you can add the courses to the Certification itself via the app (assign items) and when the user clicks RENEW NOW via My Activities, they are presented with a screen showing what’s been completed and what they can do next to get rectified...looks like this:

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @lrnlab

Presumably I have to link the certification to the original course and the recertification course and also tick the box (see below) otherwise RENEW NOW is not displayed.

Is it possible to change the message so that the learner knows that they can not renew via the original course?  Also is there a way of still showing an instructor-led-course for recertification even when there is not a session/event arranged yet?  Some of our ILT courses have a 5 year certification and are only attended by 1 or 2 people (and not necessarily at the same time) therefore the individuals contact the training department to arrange the recertification training and then a session is scheduled.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @lrnlab 

I’ve had a play around and ILT course with no sessions scheduled does still show up when the Learner clicks on RENEW NOW so that’s handy😊  However, am I able to change the Your Certification message so that I can clarify that it is only the one course available for recertification and that they need to request that a session is scheduled rather than “one of the following courses” as stated in the current message?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks @lrnlab

Presumably I have to link the certification to the original course and the recertification course and also tick the box (see below) otherwise RENEW NOW is not displayed.

Is it possible to change the message so that the learner knows that they can not renew via the original course?  Also is there a way of still showing an instructor-led-course for recertification even when there is not a session/event arranged yet?  Some of our ILT courses have a 5 year certification and are only attended by 1 or 2 people (and not necessarily at the same time) therefore the individuals contact the training department to arrange the recertification training and then a session is scheduled.

Not sure that’s how it works...if you want users to take a different course, do NOT tick that box as this will only wipe out the previous course data and allow the user to only retake the same course. 

in the example I added above, the user had already been certified and then when I added the 2nd course, it presented the user with the option to choose. Since a user can only complete a course once, in the example, the would only have access to the incomplete course. Does that help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @lrnlab 

I’ve had a play around and ILT course with no sessions scheduled does still show up when the Learner clicks on RENEW NOW so that’s handy😊  However, am I able to change the Your Certification message so that I can clarify that it is only the one course available for recertification and that they need to request that a session is scheduled rather than “one of the following courses” as stated in the current message?

you can probably do this via the Localization app but I would be careful to make it too specific since if you user certifications for some thing other than this need, the message may not apply. Localization changes are system wide based on the language pack being used.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @lrnlab .  That’s been really helpful 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

glad to help...hope it all works out for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @lrnlab It’s me again.

I have been able to setup recertification using a different course than the original.  However, as the recertification course then needs to be completed every # years and the box allowing the user to retake the same course is not ticked, the user does not have a RENEW NOW button.

I tried to set up another certification code for the recertification course but the system will not allow me to assign the recertification course to the new code, presumably because it is already assigned to the original certification code.

Any ideas? 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If you don't check the box that allows the user to retake the course, you need to add a new course as another piece they need to do to renew their certification. Once you do that the RENEW button appears. The button is not there is you don't add the additional course as there is nothing for the user to do since the initial course is already completed and by not checking the box to allow them to retake, there is no action needed...does that make sense?

Essentially you need to add the 2nd course for it to work without checkin the box.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @lrnlab

Yes, I’ve carried out your advice and it works i.e. user completes original course and in a years time renews their certification by completing the second course. 

Where it appears to fall down is another year later when the user needs to renew their certification again, using the second course.  Because the box is not ticked the user is unable to repeat the second course.

My Learning

Test Qualification is the original course and Test Qualification Refresher is the second course required for recertification a year later.  However, in another years time the user will need to take the Test Qualification Refresher course again but in My Activities/Certification there is no RENEW NOW button (see below).

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

right, you would need to add a course each year...you can make a copy of the previous year and just add a date. Would that work?

Userlevel 2
Badge

@lrnlab That’s what I’m trying to avoid as we have lots of courses that require this type of recertification and the various users did not attend the training at the same time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Those are the only 2 options at this time if you need to enable the RENEW button.

We did something different for one of clients that involves Groups and Enrolment Rules as they did not want the RENEW button however it is very complicated and involves course copies as well.

You may need to wait until the Certification archiving is launched; not sure when that would be though.

Userlevel 2
Badge

OK. Thanks @lrnlab 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @lrnlab 
This is still illuding me I’m afraid.

I created a new ILT course (Course A) which needs to be renewed in 12 month’s time by attending a different ILT course (Course B).  I then created a certification and assigned Course A and Course B to it without ticking the “Allow users to retake the same course” box so that when a user has completed Course A and needs to renew it in 12 month’s time, they will be able to click on RENEW NOW and enroll onto Course B.
I then tested this by enrolling myself on Course A and completing the course.  However, When I click on Course A in My Learning there is no reference to recertification and when I access my certifications via My Activities, whilst the certification is listed, there is not a RENEW NOW button.

😩

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The course itself does not carry any information about the certification. You can only see it via the Cert tab on My Activities. Did you check that course was not already completed? Sometimes when testing you have to clear out everything and start fresh...maybe that’s part of the issue you are seeing?

if you have been assigned the Certification and only completed 1 of the 2 courses attached to it, you should be able to see the RENEW button from the My Activities page.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020083240-Managing-the-Certifications-and-Retraining-App

It’s not specific as which course can or should be completed but it seems from the KB article that as long as you complete of the courses attached to the Certification, it will count towards the renewal. You must go via the RENEW button only.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @lrnlab 

Thanks for the info.
I have started again with a Test User but still no joy.  I’m obviously doing something wrong but I have no idea what.
I have noticed that now, when a user, via My Learning,  clicks on a course they have completed and has a certification that needs to be renewed, the user can renew the certification from here rather than having to access the RENEW NOW button via My Activities and Certifications.  This is not the case with the First Aid Annual Refresher (Year 1) course that I have created.

My Test User has not been enrolled on the renewal course - First Aid Annual Refresher (Year 2) – and for the status to change to completed an Administrator is required to mark their attendance as Present.

The certification is set up with both First Aid Annual Refresher (Year 1) and First Aid Annual Refresher (Year 2) being assigned to it but it does not show any users even though my Test User has completed First Aid Annual Refresher (Year 1).  The Allow users to retake…… box is not ticked.

I am confused 🤔