Skip to main content
Best Answer

Restricting course visibility in catalogs to specific groups

• 20 April 2023
  • 2 replies

We have a request to make an elearning course visible only to members of our People Manager group. The course is optional for people managers, so will be configured for self-enrollment, and needs to be within an existing catalog on our main page. Is this possible, and if so, how?

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi. You can do this in a variety of ways if I am understanding what you need.

1. Create the group
  2. Create a Catalogue with the course(s) you want them to be able to see, so they can choose to enroll or not
  3. “Assign” the group to the catalogue
  4. Put that catalogue on a page they have access to OR send them a link to the course/catalogue

OR

1. Create the group
  2. Create course
  3. Enroll the group in the course with no deadline
  4. This course will now be a part of their ‘world’ which can be accessed in a variety of ways
    1. My Activities page, then Courses
    2. Accessible through My Courses and Learning Plans (add page to menu these users access)
    3. Add task list widget to a page and add the ‘Not Started’ and/or ‘In Progress’ options for the widget

That’s two of a few ways you can lock the course down and give access to those you want to have access to it.

Hope it helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Another possible solution is to enable the Enrolment Link and share that via email with your managers...or, if you have the Subscription Code app, you can also generate an enrolment code they can enter on a widget that will automatically enrol them into the course...the latter does not require the course to be in a catalogue...we use it for just that reason and it works well.

This is how we set-up our widget

you can expose the page only your manager group if you like and add this widget to a page or have it on its own page, etc. The widget is called Subscription Code.