Best Answer

SCORM file clear data in module

• 7 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I am having difficulty with the UI for course completion and keep changing the settings on my SCORM packages to get what I want to happen.

I am at the point now where I want to create new versions of the same SCORM package and replace them over each other in the course. I know I can change my enrollment status to “in progress” and “not started” but that doesn’t seem to effect that I’ve completed the SCORM training material. How can I clear/edit that so I can take the course and tracking again fresh?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by dklinger 8 June 2023, 16:13

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@EmilyW_TacomaHello … I’m unclear about your goal. Are you trying to enable multiple history records on the same course (for the same user. For example, one is complete and the other is in progress, for two different versions of the Scorm)? or are you trying to preserve the current status when you upload a new version of the Scorm file?

Userlevel 2

HI @EmilyW_Tacoma . Sounds like you’re wanting to reset the completion status for the SCORM Training Material: Resetting the Completion of Training Material in a Course

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@EmilyW_Tacoma - you have a few of us that use SCORM often for content and are intrigued by your question. You can do what @Tracy O is saying….but there can be a “destructive side” to doing that reset.

Overall this is my book of business to how I approach changes to a SCORM file and supporting a federated shop -

1. Overwrites of your training material are actually OK when it comes to SCORM files in the system, but the overwrites should not be structural changes as it will impact current state users that are working through your course.
  2. To avoid all that noise - the rule of thumb is to look at your completion criteria. If you are adjusting anything that will tinker with the completion criteria before even adding it as a training material? Consider that to be a structural change (because it has a high chance to impact the manifest file).
  3. Structural changes to courses that are “live” run a risk of impacting a user that is working on that one interaction/page/bookmark at the time of deployment. Worse case - and we have had them, the screen just goes white.
  4. When you make a structural change? Consider hiding the older training material and uploading a whole new one.

That will allow your users to pick up the course again with a minor cost - they will have lost their bookmarking/progress if they were in progress when you applied the changed training material. You do need to do a minor risk analysis - but I believe that cost is a much better one with a lower level of push back compared to a course reaching a white page.
  5. You could try to put up a new version of the training material to replace the old, but that still may not have the best outcome.
  6. If you have done multiple overwrites and things seem to be getting only worse, do the hide and upload a new training material - at the very least you will hold onto your completions for the course.
  7. When all else fails, republish a fresh course - copy the enrollments from A and move them to B if it is feasible.

Also last note - when it comes to training materials? They do retain their own record. So if you were thinking add the same training material to another course? You will probablly aiming to work with a copy of that training material. 

Hope all of this gibberish helps.