Best Answer

Segmenting notifications for specific types of users

Userlevel 4
Badge

So Im trying to make my notifications more versatile in that I want specific group to receive notifications but not all Superadmins, Power users, managers etc… Am I doing something wrong? 

An example would be I need Marketing to see when a new course has been updated or added, but I only want their manager to get that notification but not all the managers need said notification (All managers are power users).

Halp?

your friendly neighborhood Generic Name

icon

Best answer by Stephanie Dreiling 6 May 2021, 00:07

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I think the easiest solution would be to create specific groups for those users. They can be automatic groups based on additional fields (e.g. Position Name: Manager + Department Name: Marketing).

Afterwards, you can enroll them to your courses and set notifications just for those specific groups.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’ve never split mine up this way, but if I am understanding it correctly I believe that you would have to create more detailed Power User Groups. For instance you could have “Marketing Manager with Notifications” as a Power User Profile and then a “Marketing Manager” Power User Profile, then you would give them all the necessary access to the platform and customize your notifications.

Otherwise, I’m not sure it’s possible because the “groups” in notifications only sort who you will get notification regarding, then don’t trigger who receives the notification. Hope that isn’t too confusing! 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’ve never split mine up this way, but if I am understanding it correctly I believe that you would have to create more detailed Power User Groups. For instance you could have “Marketing Manager with Notifications” as a Power User Profile and then a “Marketing Manager” Power User Profile, then you would give them all the necessary access to the platform and customize your notifications.

Otherwise, I’m not sure it’s possible because the “groups” in notifications only sort who you will get notification regarding, then don’t trigger who receives the notification. Hope that isn’t too confusing! 

Ahhhh, I see, so if I want a particular department manager to receive notifications I will need to make a specific power user profile for that department. Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge

I think the easiest solution would be to create specific groups for those users. They can be automatic groups based on additional fields (e.g. Position Name: Manager + Department Name: Marketing).

Afterwards, you can enroll them to your courses and set notifications just for those specific groups.

Thank you!

We actually just started doing this, minus the specific department manager group. However I was meaning for the target role of the notifications. Managers to receive notifications specific to their department they are over. Or courseware pertaining to just their department for the manager to determine if it is something they will need or not.