Sending emails to Learners in an course

• 13 February 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

So I have noticed that as an admin I can enter a class go to enrollment, select students and send them all an email. We would like to make this available to instructors. It is not native and looking at power users there does not seem, to be a permission that allows this. Has anyone else encountered this and found a solution?

enrollment screen as an admin
enrollment screen as an instructor

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Davefox Hi Dave

Not 100% sure this could be done, but here’s how I’d go about trying.

The first part I’d check is whether your PU has EDIT/CREATE abilities for courses. You’d want the PU to be able to control Enrollments, which is an option available under the “Manage Permissions” section of a PU profile.

Then (this is the part i always forget), your PU needs to have access to the related courses/lp/catalogs as part of their profile.

I agree this would be useful!  I haven’t found a way to allow this functionality to be available to instructors.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@DavefoxHi Dave

Not 100% sure this could be done, but here’s how I’d go about trying.

The first part I’d check is whether your PU has EDIT/CREATE abilities for courses. You’d want the PU to be able to control Enrollments, which is an option available under the “Manage Permissions” section of a PU profile.

Then (this is the part i always forget), your PU needs to have access to the related courses/lp/catalogs as part of their profile.

So I created a power user role as you see below and assigned it to the instructor. I then assigned the instructor to the course and the branch. Still no joy. 

Allowing an instructor to message learners seems like a thing the system should allow as kind of core functionality. Any other ideas anyone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Davefox@vwheeldon I figured it out.

You need a specific permission for “Enrollments” … I just used ‘all permissions” in my test but it might work with less.

Here’s my test of this PU

Userlevel 5
Badge

@KMallette  SO I matched your roles and assigned the user access to the branch and am still not seeing the same thing when I log in as the user. 

Weird. Will keep poking  and create a support case. 

glad it works for you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Davefox Just to outline what I did …

1. Logged in as super admin
  2. Created a PU account
  3. Created a PU profile that provided the enrollment access, and other standard PU access. Assigned one catalog as a resource.
  4. Impersonated (maybe this is where i went wrong) the PU account
  5. Opened Content Management
  6. Found one of the courses
  7. Enrolled the same user under impersonation into the course
  8. Tested for the Email link.

Maybe the impersonation is what allowed me to see more than I should have.

Good luck!

Userlevel 5
Badge

did the same process with a different result. Could be a million reasons. Appreciate the help

Userlevel 5
Badge

Working with support will post the answer as soon as I get it.