Skip to main content
Question

Skills sets and visibililty of skills

• 17 July 2024
  • 3 replies

I’m currently trying to get my head around skill sets and visibility. 

We’ve set up the skill sets so that certain users can add the skills. We are currently doing a trial with certain departments to see how they use the system. The all skills skill set is unpublished.

Some of the skills are not published to sets however super admins can see them and add them to a course if they want to. Some skills are not published in a skill set and as it turns out the AI can add them to a course. 

If the skill set is not available to a user then they can still see the skills if they are associated with a course or an asset. 

So my question is, how do you limit visibility to only the skills in published skill sets and how do you find out if there is a skill not published in a skill set what it is? Currently I have an API that tells me if a skill is not in a skill set and I then have to search for that skill in the skills managment system to see what it’s asociated with. Very long and tedious process, for every skill. Is this visibilty issue due to the April update (we have all skills visible to users and power users turned off)?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

following as we are also getting ready to start using Skills...

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I asked the support team as well this was their response

“The skills added to courses aren't chosen from published skill sets but from the Platform Catalog tab in Skills Management. Even skills that aren't assigned to any skill sets or users can be applied to content by AI via the Auto skill assignment tool.

This behavior is explained in this article, the 'skills catalog' which are the skills in the Platform Catalog”

It doesn’t explain it very well in that article but basically if you don’t want users or the AI to add a skill it’s not enought that it’s not in a skill set it has to be deleted from the platform catalogue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

thanks @Lucy.blake