SSO username condition for creating Groups

• 28 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi, when user SSO with their email address, their username is email, but the email field is empty. This has been a problem when I want to apply automatic conditions for creating groups. As creating groups doesn’t support `username` as the condition, there’s no options for me to create the groups unless I manually create some additional fields or input their emails. Is there any way that can automate the process for assigning certain users to groups? 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Groups are created based on criteria from either the user’s profile, a course status, a branch, or language and/or email address...as long as you can create a rule with one or more of these values, you can create an automatic group.

You can also manually add users to an automatic group if some are to difficult to find with the rules provided.

Badge

Hi @lrnlab , thank you for the reply! The problem I have is that except for the `username`, all the other fields are empty. My learners sign in with SSO ID which is their email. The email becomes their `username`. I don’t see the rules applied to the `username` for creating groups. How can I create automatic groups based on their `username`?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @lrnlab , thank you for the reply! The problem I have is that except for the `username`, all the other fields are empty. My learners sign in with SSO ID which is their email. The email becomes their `username`. I don’t see the rules applied to the `username` for creating groups. How can I create automatic groups based on their `username`?

you cannot at this time...have you thought about turning ON the option that makes the email the username? Maybe that would fill in the email field and allow you to create groups that way…?

Badge

@lrnlab Thank you! That’s a nice tip. Although my username is already user emails, not sure if that’s gonna populate in a reversed way.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Are you using SSO provisioning? If not, it sounds like you should be. This can pull information from your authentication provider’s fields and populate them into the platform on login. This is how we do it on the platform I run.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

good point @Maz 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I had the same issue and I simply pulled the same saml email claim into two fields - once into username and once into email. Are you using saml and just-in-time provisioning? If so, that’s my recommendation to you.