Best Answer

Training Deployment via Learning Plans

• 4 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Our Users are pulled into a Learning Plan based on their Job Description.  When a Users Job Description changes (example: Users Job Description updated from “Operator” to “Lead”), the User automatically receives the new Learning Plan based on their new Job Description.  We were under the impression that new content to the “Operator” Learning Plan would not deploy to the User, only new content to the “Lead” Learning Plan, based on the Users Job Description.  This does not seem to be the case.  I don’t want to un-enroll these users from the original Learning Plan because we need to maintain training records for compliance requirements.

Does anyone else deploy training based on Job Description and if so, how do you ensure they only receive future updates to the Learning Plan associated with their most recent Job Description?

Thank you!

Brianne

icon

Best answer by trose23 5 March 2024, 17:41

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

I don’t think that it’s possible in the way that you have described it.  The user remains enrolled in the prior position Learning Plan so they will always receive new content applied into that LP when it is updated.  If they’re enrolled in LPs for four positions and all four LPs are updated, they’ll get the new content assigned to them for every LP they are enrolled in.  Learning Plan options are very limited currently.

When you update LPs if it isn’t all that frequent, you could “retire” the old LP and create a new one including only current users that fit that group into it so you aren’t adding new courses to users that are no longer in that position, but then the users still in the same position would be enrolled in multiple LPs for the same position.

Do you need a record of them completing the Learning Plan itself or just having completed all the individual courses?  When you unenroll a user from a Learning Plan it DOES clear their record of having completed the LP, but if you don’t unenroll them from the courses their training records at the Course level is preserved.  If the LP record doesn’t matter, you could unenroll them and all their completions would be retained on their transcript.  You could also potentially utilize “External Training” to create a record of when a user completed an LP for a position before you remove them from the LP to create a backup/alternate record of completion.

Userlevel 1

Thank you very much for the information @trose23!  If I unenroll the user from the Learning Plan but check the boxes to leave them enrolled in Courses they have Completed, would they still receive updates to those courses even if their new Learning Plan does not include those Courses?  

Thanks again, I appreciate your feedback!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thank you very much for the information @trose23!  If I unenroll the user from the Learning Plan but check the boxes to leave them enrolled in Courses they have Completed, would they still receive updates to those courses even if their new Learning Plan does not include those Courses?  

Thanks again, I appreciate your feedback!

@Brianne.Jones - Yes, they would still receive updates to the courses even if the new LP doesn’t include the Course because that’s an action that happens at the Course level.  However, when you upload new content to a course, it doesn’t automatically change the enrollment status of users who have already completed the course.  The users who previously completed the content will still be marked Completed, they will just have Training Material on the course that they would see as incomplete if they re-accessed the course.

If you don’t want them to get the new course updates/sort through who is and isn’t required to complete certain updates, it may be worth thoroughly exploring the Archival of Enrollments options. That way you can determine if you want to Archive completions to preserve the training records of anyone who took courses who no longer need updates on those courses because of their job or if it’s best if they remain in Active enrollment.

Userlevel 1

Hello @trose23,

I conducted a trial in which I enrolled a User into a Learning Plan, completed training, and then Archived and Unenrolled them from the Learning Plan.  When I run this Users training history report, including the archived enrollments, those courses do not show up on the report.  I am going to submit a Tech Support Ticket as there may be something going on with the Report that I am unaware of.