Best Answer

Updating a scorm file

• 7 February 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Can someone clarify please?  If i have a course with scorm file and 1000 people have completed it, when i make an update to the scorm file and upload the new version, will it reset everyone's completion status (i hope not).  Do I need to make sure I set specific settings to avoid a reset to everyone's record?

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 7 February 2022, 17:44

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @KTJD it will not reset the course status but depending on the updates to the SCORM Package it may reset those who are in progress and delete bookmarking for example...you should set-up a test course to see the actual effect.

One thing we have done to preserve records is to deactivate the old package but leave on the course in a hidden state and then add the new package and make that the ‘end object marker’. It seems to work well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

thanks for the prompt reply.  when you say ‘preserve records' do you mean those in progress?  im less bothered about those people and happy for them to start from the beginning if necessary.  I’m more worried about it striping the completions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

it’s more about making sure that that those who already completed the course maintain their SCORM details (answers to questions and grades, etc.)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

thanks.  the most important thing for us was not losing people’s completion status.  i can confirm we went ahead and swapped the scorm file and completions stayed intact thanksfully.

Karl

Userlevel 2
Badge

When I read the help file, it states: 

Please Note: When updating SCORM content, by changing the structure of the SCORM, where users have already interacted with the content or completed it, users whose status is 'In Progress' or 'Completed' will lose their progress in the training material. These users will have to start the content from the beginning.

Does the answer to the OP’s question relate to a course that only has text changes/typo fixes, but no structural changes (like a new question, new topic, deleted topic, etc.)? 

Userlevel 3

When I read the help file, it states: 

Please Note: When updating SCORM content, by changing the structure of the SCORM, where users have already interacted with the content or completed it, users whose status is 'In Progress' or 'Completed' will lose their progress in the training material. These users will have to start the content from the beginning.

Does the answer to the OP’s question relate to a course that only has text changes/typo fixes, but no structural changes (like a new question, new topic, deleted topic, etc.)? 

Surprised no one responded… I think that’s true, so for example, in a Rise course if you add a new block (perhaps) or a new lesson, add a Q to the post-test if you use one. For changes to the SCORM object, consider reversioning via the Central Repository. I haven’t tried the earlier suggestion of deactivating the ‘old’ SCORM and adding the new version as a new TM...

Userlevel 3

I’m testing an overwrite right now, you get this warning when selecting the object to edit it (see attached screen grab)...

And note you can’t chg the Docebo Score calc option: 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi everyone, we are just swapping our old SCORM files for two courses but we are the opposite as @KTJD that we want the course status to reset as “Not Started”. Is there any way to do that or we’ll have to upload the new SCORM files as new courses? 

***Update: I think I figured how to change the enrollment status for all users on the courses but I wonder will a new course enrolment notification be triggered in this case?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

sorry to resurrect this old thread but we are trying to replace a scorm file in an elearning courses and getting this warning we have not seen before.  For other modules we have just simply replaced the old scorm package and it preserved everyone's completion status.  This time the wording of this error worries me that it will wipe eveyones status.

I understand why im getting this message, because the setting below is different to all our other modules (i dont know why)

Its obviously pointing at the old training material (SCORM) instead of using the score of the last training material.

Can anyone advise how i change the setting without wiping everyones completion?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Good afternoon! Changing the training material vs the course shouldnt impact everyones completion (the way I understand it). Courses will hold onto the completions - the training material holds onto progress and bookmarking.

Bottomline - If you hide the old training material and introduce a new one? That should give you a reasonable outcome. But it would reset peoples progress through the content.