Best Answer

Updating questions and reporting on them

• 20 July 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We have ~22 exams that we use as prereqs for advanced level courses across 19 products. The exams are only good for 1 calendar year. We do not use the in system certification functionality. The exam (elarning course shell with a test) serves this purpose.  In our previous system we would report on each of the questions to determine the percentage of time the question was answered correctly. If it was a low percentage then we’d look at the question to make sure it wasn’t poorly worded or make sure the content wasn’t removed from the courses leading up to it. I have two questions I’m looking for help with:

1. Does anyone else report on your questions to determine the pass rate on the individual question, or have any suggestions on accomplishing this?
  2. What have you found to be the easiest/best way to update questions in the question bank before added them to a new exam?
icon

Best answer by lrnlab 20 July 2022, 15:28

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

1. Does anyone else report on your questions to determine the pass rate on the individual question, or have any suggestions on accomplishing this?
  2. What have you found to be the easiest/best way to update questions in the question bank before added them to a new exam?

Hi @steveninfinger for your reporting, I call this a question analysis report, you can get this by navigating the the Training Materials tabs under the Reports tab of your course. You will see the exam object. Click on the title and it will show all responses by user. You can then download all responses to all exam questions including how many times each answer choice was picked and how may times a user answered correctly/incorrectly...once you have a the report, you can use a simple excel formula to count how many times a question was answered correctly or not.

COUNTIF([range in the column that shows whether it was answered correctly],[criteria]=”yes”] - then copy this and change the criteria to “no” to count the incorrect answers. It should look something like this:

COUNTIF(C1:C250,”Yes”) where C1 is the first cell in the column and CXXX is the last cell in the column

As for updating, I think your only choice its using the question bank is to make your changes there (but I may be wrong as we do not use it for exam questions) since you're essentially re-using those questions in multiple exams...

Hi @steveninfinger for your reporting, I call this a question analysis report, you can get this by navigating the the Training Materials tabs under the Reports tab of your course. You will see the exam object. Click on the title and it will show all responses by user. You can then download all responses to all exam questions including how many times each answer choice was picked and how may times a user answered correctly/incorrectly...once you have a the report, you can use a simple excel formula to count how many times a question was answered correctly or not.

COUNTIF([range in the column that shows whether it was answered correctly],[criteria]=”yes”] - then copy this and change the criteria to “no” to count the incorrect answers. It should look something like this:

COUNTIF(C1:C250,”Yes”) where C1 is the first cell in the column and CXXX is the last cell in the column

As for updating, I think your only choice its using the question bank is to make your changes there (but I may be wrong as we do not use it for exam questions) since you're essentially re-using those questions in multiple exams...

Is it possible to schedule this kind of report like a custom report? I didn’t see any way in a custom report to get this same kind of data.

A very strange use case, but it happened to us… due to some technical issues, the users were not able to edit their answers after moving to the next question (yes, the test was configured to allow this).

So what i was doing was to go to the screen you described above and every 10-minutes or so export the user answers in case there were problems (this is a certification course that takes 4-6 hours to complete and if they lose their answers, the time is lost).