Question

Updating Training Material in an Active Course

• 10 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I am wondering what is best practice for updating training material with a newer version when their is multiple training materials attached to the course and the learner has already started it? For example, we launched a critical care education that has multiple modules. About 2 weeks later we had to update it for a newer version but some individuals have started on the old version and I don’t want to make them start over the modules they completed but I need all training materials to be the current version for future learners. Any guidance and suggestions are appreciated. 

Thank you,

Jodi

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Jodi,

You should be good to just replace the training material. It will not affect the people who have already gone through the course. I believe there will be a pop-up that will say “Do you want people who have completed this to need to re-do it. I think the best practice is, if it is the same type of training material (i.e. a video is being replaced by a video) to replace it by editing the training material. I would not want to have to create a new training material and delete the old, that could mess with the reporting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi Jodi,

You should be good to just replace the training material. It will not affect the people who have already gone through the course. I believe there will be a pop-up that will say “Do you want people who have completed this to need to re-do it. I think the best practice is, if it is the same type of training material (i.e. a video is being replaced by a video) to replace it by editing the training material. I would not want to have to create a new training material and delete the old, that could mess with the reporting.

curious about the pop-up message...are you saying you see this message when replacing a learning object?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @lrnlab,

Nice catch! I thought I had a pop-up for when adding a training material, but it is only when deleting materials. I was mistaken on that. But when adding materials, it does not change the users status in the course from my experience.

This is the message the system gives me when I go to change the version to the new version. I haven’t yet selected “Save Changes” as I’m not sure about what it will do to the user who is done. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

phew, thought I missed a long awaited option when updating training materials...back to waiting status...lol

Is this from the Content repository? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

This is the message the system gives me when I go to change the version to the new version. I haven’t yet selected “Save Changes” as I’m not sure about what it will do to the user who is done. 

Yepp!!! click save changes to load the latest version content in the course. Learners who already completed the old version, they can’t be able to view the latest version until they manually re-launch the course content. In addition, the completed learner's enrollment status also won’t change to Enrolled/In Progress from Completed. They still remain in Completed status.

Latest version will be available to only the learners who doesn’t complete the old version. They’ve to restart the training from beginning to view the latest content.