Best Answer

Upload users early but notify them later... but will it affect the soft deadlines?

• 29 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

We usually upload users 7 days before their first live session. We do that so they can review the pre-work. I set the soft deadlines for their 4-5 courses (we call them modules) so that they appear throughout the 4 weeks with 1 live session per week. So their calendar would look something like:

Sep 1 Pre-work : Foundations of…  

Sep 8 First live session
Sep 9 Prework : xyz for your next live session

Sep 15 Second Live Session
Sep 16 Prework : xyz for your next live session

Sep 22 Third Live Session
Sep 23 Prework : xyz for your next live session

Sep 29 Final Live session

So my question is if the coordinators get me the learners info 10 days before the first live session, can I upload learners onto the system that day, using the “User has been created (by administrator)” email and setting it to send the notification to the users three days later and more importantly, will uploading them 10 days before (instead of 7) affect my course/module soft deadlines?

Has anyone tried this? And or, is there another way of doing this that’s so much easier?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Jamie at GuyKat 30 August 2022, 01:06

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

@Nicole This is a great question! To better help the community answer it, could you please elaborate on how those soft deadlines are set? Is a specific day within the course set as the deadline, or is the deadline set based on course enrollment date?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks for the follow-up question as I realized that I should have said Days of Validity! So the calculation begins from the enrollment date. But is this date when I upload them, isn’t it? So in this example, it’s a course/module that I want to appear on their third week from when they beging the program, so 21 days. 

If I upload them as soon as I get the list, it doesn’t matter when they’re informed that they’re on the platform, this will still mess up the course modules. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Yes, in that case, that is what I would expect! If the users are enrolled in the course on the same day they are created, then their deadline set by the days of validity would be affected.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Yeah, I don’t think there is a way to do this via native functionality in the platform as enrollment rules are tripped off of the user being created in the branch or added to a group and I’m not sure of a way to “delay” that enrollment rule, which is what you’d need if you added the users earlier. Or adjust your days of validity to add the extra 3 days to it if users will always be created 3 days earlier.

I’ve also seen a couple customers use the first access date option for days of validity to start the clock but that generally only works well if all users will be going into the course together during an initial onboarding session with a facilitator that helps users get signed in and start their online training. I don’t use this one heavily but have seen a couple of my customers use it.