Skip to main content
Best Answer

VILT Time Begins Issue

Hello,

I have been trying to create ILT sessions via a CSV. I managed to create a session but now when trying to upload an event via CSV I keep getting an error regarding the time_begin parameter. I have already read the following article https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/5226538368658-Importing-ILT-and-VILT-Sessions-and-Events-via-CSV-Files to cross check the data type and format. Still no luck, any suggestions?

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

HI @aleem1024 what inputs did you try? I used the and was able to import the Events. The time was a bit finicky as Excel always tries to apply a format. e.g.: I input 9:00:00 AM but the cell for import should be, 9:00:00

Hi,

I have selected other formats which do not have the AM/PM suffixed. However, the issue seems to continue. Any idea on how to get the AM/PM to be removed permanently?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I create a template that includes both Sessions and Events as it makes more sense to see it all in one place and when you import, you can choose what columns you want to import. Hopefully you can use this to solve your issue. I fixed the time issue with a custom time format in excel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

sadly, it won't accept my file although it says it should...will need to repot this to Docebo

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@erin.brisson any idea why it won't accept my file?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@aleem1024 @lrnlab I’m looking into this. Stay tuned!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@lrnlab would you be willing to send me the xlsx that you are trying to upload so I can try and troubleshoot what’s causing the upload error?

Userlevel 4

When I do this, I save the file as *.csv and then open the CSV (in another spreadsheet application) to verify that everything is properly formatted. Things like the number formatting can become switch from the proper date representation and that formatting is so picky!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@lrnlab would you be willing to send me the xlsx that you are trying to upload so I can try and troubleshoot what’s causing the upload error?

sure will send by email...it was meant for this thread if you can add it here that would be great. Thx

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I create a template that includes both Sessions and Events as it makes more sense to see it all in one place and when you import, you can choose what columns you want to import. Hopefully you can use this to solve your issue. I fixed the time issue with a custom time format in excel.

Apparently the file upload doesn't work with Safari. removed the “&” from the file name and it works but only with Chrome…

@aleem1024 here you go

Click on ‘View Original’ to get to the file.

Thank you @lrblab this is really helpful. I also encountered an issue with the webinar tool. We use zoomv2meeting and that is the only field I fill in. However when it is uploaded it throws a very vague error along the lines of error encountered while processing. Any idea what could be causing this? I attached what I have been doing below.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Apparently the file upload doesn't work with Safari. removed the “&” from the file name and it works but only with Chrome…

@aleem1024 here you go

This is great! They really need to work on this process as it stands currently it is incredibly confusing for new users to figure out and interpret. I remember just giving up and moving to the API as it seemed so much easier, which is crazy when you think about it.

@aleem1024 here you go

Our use case currently is that we have to create 30 sessions inside of a single ILT for classes taught across a single week. For each session we are creating a single event so it is like doing double the work. From what I can tell right now the process would be to create a single csv for the linked session and event would this not mean I would have to create 30 unique csvs then?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Exactly right, just add new rows to the excel template posted and then one upload creates them all, really nice!

Exactly right, just add new rows to the excel template posted and then one upload creates them all, really nice!

Can I upload both directly to the session upload option?

I was curious as to how this would work given that the fields which can be chosen are limited to the session fields and not event:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Correct @aleem1024 the reason I added both the session and events to a single template was so I can track the unique session IDs needed to create events. We use d this template to a few hundred session/events in one go. Sadly I still have no easy way to extract the Session unique IDs other than using an API so if your volumes are very high, that would be the way to go.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Can I upload both directly to the session upload option?

I was curious as to how this would work given that the fields which can be chosen are limited to the session fields and not event:

you ned to run the Session import first, then get your session unique IDs, backfill those into the same template, then run the Events import. Each import only allows you to import the fields aligned to that specific area so pretty error proof. At the end of it all you have a good back up in the CSV file that has all the related information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Correct @aleem1024 the reason I added both the session and events to a single template was so I can track the unique session IDs needed to create events. We use d this template to a few hundred session/events in one go. Sadly I still have no easy way to extract the Session unique IDs other than using an API so if your volumes are very high, that would be the way to go.

1000% this! It would be nice if the post report for the session creation gave you a session ID report after. Until then I find this CSV approach for session management almost unusable for any volume. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yes it is quite annoying that these necessary parts seem so unlinked when creating Sessions.