What "type" should my content be?

• 30 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Is there a flowchart or best practice that someone has created that can help me figure out with the content that I have that I’m adding to Docebo if I’ll want it to be a:

• Course
  • Playlist
  • Learning Plan
  • Catalog
  • Channel
  • (other term I have yet to find)

There seem to be a lot of choices and they all have different features. It would be helpful if there’s a flowchart I could use with each piece of content to help me build it the right way the first time.

Thanks!

Emily

2 replies

Userlevel 3

@EmilyW_Tacoma...Let me see if I can help!

A Course is either an e-learning or an ILT (webinar, etc.)

Courses can exist by themselves, but...

You can add them to Catalogs, so that members of that Catalog can see content (we grouped our Catalogs by our Branch definitions)

You can add them to Channels for the same reason.

We also created an ALL Catalog, and add almost all content to that Catalog as well, so learners can search for content outside their particular Branch designation.

Courses can be grouped into Learning Plans, so the learner sees a path for their learning journey all in one place...and the ease of assigning courses, like New Hire requirements.

Playlists can be made of Assets loaded into a Channel. Assets can be courses, or even simple PDFs for a process that particular group should have access to. Individuals can created their own Playlists, and they are the only ones who can access it. Channel Playlists group particular Assets together for ease of accessing.

I hope this helps a bit. It can be a bit overwhelming when you get started.

Good Luck!

Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Adding to @LDAlexPM3 

High level? You have containers that hold onto training materials that you can track with

Course / Learning Plan

You can enroll people in these...and track their completions.

Catalog/Channel/Playlists

You can work with these to drive your user experience.

You can align “who” can see what - but there is no direct enrollment/traceability with these.

You put courses/learning plans into catalogs/channels. So that they can display to the user.

A suggestion? Take a look at Docebo University - it has a great walkthrough of all of the capabilities, metaphors, and functions available to you.