Question

Where do you store your LMS content?

• 18 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

We have a plenty of learning content in terms of a training material. For e.g SCORM files, JPEG, forms, videos, etc. We continue to develop new contents for our learners. At the moment, we store all of our contents in the NAS. But I am looking to explore other options such as cloud storage. 

I would like to know what tools/applications other are using to store their LMS content?

Thank you,

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @abhijeet.dalvi ,

This is a question that has been on my mind for a long time!

We currently use SharePoint 2016, but not necessarily by choice. It really isn’t cut-out for content development work. Firstly, it struggles to handle large video and SCORM (zip) files, and makes it hard to work with lots of individual assets. I continuously need to save stuff out to my desktop in order to achieve a tolerable workflow!  So I would also definitely be interested to learn what solutions others use. 

Alan

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @abhijeet.dalvi we’re using OneDrive sync connected to a dedicated document library on our group’s SharePoint site. In that way all content creators have access to all source files, and if needed everyone can jump in and do some edits or updates.

So far, the only two disadvantages we have found are specific to the tools we’re using.

In Camtasia, there are different project files used by the Windows and Mac versions. And while you can open on mac the file from Windows, it doesn’t include media files, and I think I didn’t work also the other way around. A workaround is to export a finished project to a Zip file, that will contain all media files and put this file into OneDrive as it will be possible to open it on both operating systems.

We also used to have some issues with Adobe Captivate, which is creating big temporary files in the same folder as the project file, and if that is in a synced folder, OneDrive trying to keep those files in sync may be killing the computer. A workaround was to copy CPTX files to a local storage for editing, and then copy them back to the synced folder once the work is done.