Question

Automated Grouping Based on Registration

• 11 February 2022
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2

Hey everyone,

I want staff to be able to register without moderation. Is there a way to assign them to a default group when they first log on? For example, can I assign them as a new user immediately and thus allow them to access a course catalogue? 

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Unfortunately, in Docebo there are no options for defining any account defaults to be set upon registration. We are using an external tool and API to update all new users with basic settings and put them in the right gropus. 

As an alternative, it might be sometiems enough to assign the catalog to the branch to which they are put when they register.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@alekwo is correct.  Unless you have extended enterprise domains (where you can assign everyone in that domain to a particular branch that is associated with a particular catalog), you’re best bet is through external automation.  My preferred tool for this is Integromat, but there are plenty of others including Docebo Connect.  You’re essentially going to catch a webhook for a new account and then make an API call to the LMS to assign the student to a manual group (alternatively you could set a user additional field to something like “newuser”, and make the group membership automatic based on the content of that field).  Then set your “new user” catalog availability to that group.

You may also want someone to be automatically removed from the new user group after a period of time or completion of a particular course.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

We use self registration with a required code. IF they have the right code to enter then it will assign them to the correct branch. I then use branch enrollment rules to auto assign their specific content in addition to catalog visibility.

We are not using extended enterprise. And only a specific group of people are permitted to self register. (We can’t technically prevent anyone else, but without the code they can’t go far.) So the key is to have a way to get them the right code for self registration.

Not exactly what you’re looking for, branch vs group, but it’s a thought.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Seth Clark - like @lhubbard ? We have a few scenarios where we are doing things clever. We do alot of mapping based on their user profile that we are pushing into the platform.

But one scenario - is mapping a person based on a course code that is part of their registration form.That puts them into a group immediately and deploys learning (pretty much) right then and there.

If you are having folks self register - that is one way to achieve what you are after.

Not so different than Lynn’s approach. But they select that one code. We dont make a branch code available via a dropdown to guarantee that folk that shouldnt be coming in through the self registration essentially dont get beyond the self help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Might be helpful: If anyone wants to restrict branches available for self-registration, leave the branch codes blank on any branches you want to disappear from the drop-down list.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@elamast - we do that but we dont even support the drop-down list.

Our self registration is highly restricted to only vendors/consultant.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Sorry - continued - so these folks theoretically have a door into the organization that is extremely narrow and through a single funnel of a workflow. That helps us to give those first time users an instruction of what the exact branch code needs to be.

Userlevel 2

Good evening everyone,

My apologies for the delay in responding. It has been a busy week.

@dklinger @lhubbard @alekwo @elamast @lhubbard Thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions. These are all great ideas. Unfortunately, both an extended enterprise and external automation are off the table at the moment due to budget constraints. I also like the idea of a code; however, I have a feeling that my less tech savvy trainees will possibly find it confusing. However, that doesn’t mean any of these ideas are forever off the table.

In the meantime, I decided to use the idea of assigning users to groups automatically based on additional fields. Essentially, I set it up a drop down that no matter what they select initially, they are assigned as a new user. They are also still able to access their organizations course catalogues based upon their selected organization.

@elamast Can you point me in the direction of a KBA or resource that would show me how to change a persons group based on the completion of the course?

Thanks again everyone!

Seth

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Seth Clark If it helps, our self registration group are fairly tech adverse. The branch code we use is straightforward and meaningful to them, so I think that makes it easier. We do not use the drop down option to avoid confusion with any other branches.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Unfortunately, both an extended enterprise and external automation are off the table at the moment due to budget constraints.

When you have budget, you might want to look into Integromat’s pricing.  It is very attractive. With all we do at AVO we’re still at the Standard plan level. 

There is even a free option if you want to look into tools like n8n (self-hosted).  However, you would need to have an available computer running NodeJS (or a Docker container running it) full-time and Internet-accessible to use it to its potential.

The downside to both is there’s a fairly steep learning curve for anyone who hasn’t worked with these before. 

Docebo also has their Docebo Connect product, which comes with some pre-built recipes you configure. It costs more, but you don’t have to start from a blank page.

@elamast Can you point me in the direction of a KBA or resource that would show me how to change a persons group based on the completion of the course?

I can describe it for you.  Here’s an example with a Pretest:

The ABC Pretest Course is in the the STEP 1 catalog.  That catalog is available to everyone.

A different course we want to restrict access to is in the “STEP 2” catalog.  That catalog is available to a group we’ll call the STEP 2 group.  That group is set to the “auto” type and has an eligibility rule: “User enrollment status in ABC Pretest Course is Completed”.  Once the student completes ABC Pretest Course, they now meet the criteria for the the STEP 2 group and will automatically be added to it.  That in turn makes the STEP 2 catalog visible to the student.

Userlevel 2

@lhubbard - That helps a lot! It may be something we start doing here soon.

Thank you, @elamast. I am scheduling a meeting with Docebo to explore this route. If we end up going down this path would you mind if I reach out for some additional guidance?

Also, a big thank you again to everyone for your help and support!!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thank you, @elamast. I am scheduling a meeting with Docebo to explore this route. If we end up going down this path would you mind if I reach out for some additional guidance?

Glad to provide advice and guidance.  If you end up needing someone to set things up for you, eSkillz has some folks with a lot of Docebo experience. :wink: