Question

Badges concept

• 8 April 2022
  • 2 replies

We are currently developping a gamification concept. One pillar will be assigning badges for completing courses and learning plans. (For ILT courses, this is not possible, so I created the idea 3138: Badges for ILT courses; feel free to vote for it!)

I found some pretty helpful conversations about gamification and especially badges in this community, but maybe you can share your ideas with me for some specific scenarios. Our idea is to create badges for specific numbers of courses (or learning plans). Well, there was a good advice by Adam Ballhausen in “Ideas for launching Gamification” to reward new learners quickly. This said, we’d like to create badges for the 1st course, the 5th, the 10th, the 20th and so on. This leads me to 3 questions:

• Does the above scale sound reasonable?
  • How many points should be assigned to badges staggered in such a way (I suppose that  the number of points should not be directly related to the number of completed courses)?
  • Since the number of badges to be created might become quite high, what badge names could be used to distinguish them and to somehow reflect the levels?

I know this scheme might be very specific, but I can imagine that some of you might use similar ones and probably had similar questions when they started. I do not want to copy your system, but if possible, I want to avoid having to reinvent the wheel.

Any suggestions are more then welcome!

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Here’s a quick link for people to find the idea to upvote it:  

@elamast: Thank you!