Changing the Default Language

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi everyone,

I’ve decided to change the default language from English to English_UK to reduce the number of helpdesk tickets I receive complaining all the UI elements and pages have incorrect spelling in Australia. 

The great thing is Docebo Learn does allow for localisation and I jumped in. Here are some of my learnings from doing this for those of you perhaps thinking about doing something like this.

1. I used the “user mass edit” tool to change the default language for everyone. I noted that it took way too long as we have 5500+ users and I wasn’t sure it was working. I then did it in batches by user groups of 100s at a time which worked better, but still took a long time.

Time to do this aside, the lesson here for me was to work out what I needed to do in localising the language before I jumped in and changed this! So back a few steps now.

2. I wasn’t really sure what parts of the LMS I needed to ensure I had both the current default language text updated and any new default language I wanted to use.

For example, we have added some additional user fields which all needed text in the new default language, then upon exploring more I found we had several additional fields all needing work. This led me to more areas in the LMS I needed to prepare before making the change. I felt to myself I needed to put my SuperAdmin cape back in the cupboard as I failed this task without thinking about it first LOL.

3. Some areas have the option to set all languages to the same as default language, and this was an awesome thing for me allow me to make sure I had languages synced, but to my new default which was the UK english. Note, you will need to set this in some areas to make it do this, and you may need to copy any text you edited already perhaps added by an admin with the default language changed, if that makes sense. 

Here are some of the areas in the LMS I missed initially but need to be checked before diving into changing the default language (you may have more apps and features so check them too):

• badges
  • user additional fields
  • terms and conditions (if changing, may require all users to re-accept it)
  • privacy policy (if changing, may require all users to re-accept it)
  • any customisations to the header/footer (white label)
  • cookie policy
  • notifications (this is a big one)

Anyway, hope that helps people with this area. I learnt the hard way plan out what you are doing first as something that sounded simple required a little more planning and work, but it is possible to do in Docebo Learn which is great.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Justin

Thanks, good tips. We’re also down under and had similar challenges. We were fortunate that we switched to English UK fairly early in the configuration but I’ve flagged your comments for the future.

The languages feature is obviously incredibly powerful where the platform is being used across different countries so it is understandably accorded a lot of prime ‘real estate’ in the UI.

But in a market like ours it is superfluous so it would be great to be able to get some of that real estate back. I’m curious to know whether you’ve found effective way to make the language ‘invisible’ to users so it doesn’t pop up everywhere:

• the course filter
  • the ‘EN’ on every tile
  • ‘Language: English’ in every course header

Ironically, in our context I think it gives our customers the impression that we’re using a platform which wasn’t designed for them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @david.stock! I can help you with at least the EN on course tiles and the Language: English in course headers. You can use the following CSS to hide both labels in the UI: 

/*Remove EN label from course tiles*/
ui-card-catalog-content ui-card .ui-card-language {
display: none !important;
}

/*Remove Language:English label from course headers*/
.course-head-content .course-info p{
display: none !important;
}

To add this CSS to your platform, follow these simple steps:

1. Copy the code snippet above
  2. Navigate to ⚙️Admin Menu > Configure Branding and Look
  3. Expand the Custom Styles accordion under Desktop
  4. At the last available line in the 7.0 Custom CSS section, paste the code snippet exactly as it appears here
  5. Select Save Changes (you will also need to Confirm a platform reload)
  6. Navigate to course tiles and course headers and note that the labels no longer appear!

I hope this helps free up some real estate for you! Others may have guidance related to the language filter for courses, but I am not currently aware of a way to edit/remove those from the UI.

Note: I recommend testing these updates thoroughly after making the changes in production. If you have a sandbox, it would be advisable to test the changes there first. It’s very common for customers to make CSS updates like these to customize the UI to their liking, but please be aware that our support team will not support this custom code if it causes issues/conflicts in future releases.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Adam

Well that was easy!:wink:

You’re a legend!:trophy:

Very grateful, that is already a big improvement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

We’re winning together @david.stock! 🥇

Happy I could help 🙂