Best Answer

Docebo LMS SSO for external application

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello.

I want to create an application via API to update the course completion date.
On the home page, I will create box with a link to access this application.
Is there a possibility for the user to connect to this application via SSO? In other words, through Docebo's LMS credentials, be able to connect to this external application.
Does anyone have a similar experience?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Bfarkas 18 August 2022, 20:49

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I’m unclear if the student is going to log into this app (to add a completion to their own transcript) or an admin (on behalf of the student).  It makes a bit of a difference how I’d advise proceeding.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

In this case, if its possible a Power User. If not, Administrator.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Is your docebo instance using an sso to sign in with already? Usually it’s just a matter of managing the secure session cookie from that then.

If you are just logging into Docebo directly, what exactly are you trying to have them do on the separate page? There is a way to use the oauth connection from docebo using the iframe embed widget on a page to establish a secure connection with the api to carry out calls. I do this often for these types of tools and is super useful, more over the use feels like they never left the system, because well they haven’t.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

If you are just logging into Docebo directly, what exactly are you trying to have them do on the separate page? There is a way to use the oauth connection from docebo using the iframe embed widget on a page to establish a secure connection with the api to carry out calls. I do this often for these types of tools and is super useful, more over the use feels like they never left the system, because well they haven’t.

You have my attention with this.  Do you have a working example?  I can think of use cases where you might, for example, build an app outside of a normal eLearning tool but you still want to record a result in the LMS.  One such thing might be a web app that mimics particular functions of a production app, and you are hosting the app yourself.

Interesting possibilities abound.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello @Bfarkas , thank you for your information.

We are just logging into Docebo directly, and call an API application in order to update a courses completion date.

I´ll try to use your solution (iframe embed widget on a page to establish a secure connection with the api to carry out calls.)

Thank you again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You have my attention with this.  Do you have a working example?  I can think of use cases where you might, for example, build an app outside of a normal eLearning tool but you still want to record a result in the LMS.  One such thing might be a web app that mimics particular functions of a production app, and you are hosting the app yourself.

Interesting possibilities abound.

Yeah. I use this for the iLT simplified scheduler I built which is basically a Qualtrics fronted, but it identifies who the person is and let’s then do certain things thanks to the embed setup with the advanced oauth turned on. Also used for a feedback and support setup in a widget on every course. 
once you get the hang of it, lots of possibilities for sure. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

hello @Bfarkas , thank you for your update.

We are negotiating with a group of more than 70 hospitals, with around 100,000 employees and a large number of on-site courses.
As an example, a single hospital, in one month, carried out 70 courses in 210 sessions, training 5000 people.
What problems are we running into:
We create sessions via csv file, but to create events via csv we need the id_session information, which we will only have after creating the sessions. I cannot extract a report with the id_session information because the reports are not in real time. So I have to go in session by session to get the id_session or wait for the next day to get the report and create the events. In other words, not practical.

Another problem is that Docebo does not have a process to update attendance in sessions (completion date).

We have created a course completion date update process via API to load our customers' course history, but as we run the process, it is not user-friendly.

So, for this client, we are proposing to make this course update process available via API, in a friendly way, and preferably without having to re-enter the login and password of the person who is entering the information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This is EXACTLY why I’ve built my two scheduler tools. One of which is embedded in the iframe and uses the oauth to perform the api work on the backend. A large group of power users get access to this via simple page access controls, and to them it is a built in docebo feature. I’ve built a separate one for a smaller group that lets the main user make a CSV list of session informations and upload to an api process to go through and create sessions, events, enroll users, instructors and send calendar invites. 100% doable and fantastic for your users. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Bfarkas Fantastic. Do you sell this application? 
Can we schedule a call to talk about this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Bfarkas Fantastic. Do you sell this application? 
Can we schedule a call to talk about this?

Not really, I’ve found the couple of times I’ve tried to generalize it you end up right back at “too many clicks” but that each org generally has unique needs  that let you customize and tweak for it to be of true value. It is also built on each orgs software available, so they don’t need a person to fully manage and support, just the existing users of the systems (I.e. Qualtrics, SharePoint, power automate) I am doing write ups of the concepts as they are very easily repeatable. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Bfarkas , thank you for your information. I have another question...

When I use an API application to enroll users and update the completion date, if I uploaded a csv file with more 200 lines, the application API send me a ERROR “ {"name":"Bad Request","message":["Maximum number of records exceeded"],"code":1103,"status":400}.

Do you have the same problem? I have to split the csv file in many files with maximum 200 lines in order to upload it.

About your ILT application, can you share with us some information like: user csv file example, development hours to created it, fronted print screen, user manual…. any thing… It will be very helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Which endpoints are you using? There are bulk endpoints that are typically better suited for these types things?

I am in the process of a series that highlights generally how some of these setups work so others can apply to their situations, I have posted some information and training video links previously in the community. More soon. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello @Bfarkas , I are using :

/learn/v1/enrollment/batch

/learn/v1/lo/tracks/batch

and about your  ILT application, can you share more information?