Question

Formatting Subtitles

• 18 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

I want to format a .VTT file I am using to lay subtitles over a video. I was able to load the .VTT file fine. The timing is fine but I cannot get all the formatting I have in the  .VTT file to show on the finished view. Bold and underline work fine, but I would like to include itilac {<i>, </i> } as well as font style, size etc… Everything defaults to center justification for both the cue box and the overlay on the video. I want to change that as well.

I tried creating a statement at the top of the VTT file

::cue {background: #4184c5; color: #000000; font-family: Arial; Font-size: 16; Text-align: Left;}

I have also tried adding  commands after the time stamp

00:12.000 --> 00:16.000 line:5 position:30% align:left size:54%

and even tried adding the italic tag into the subtitle

<b>Welcome to <i>"My Company"</i>.</b>
In this video you will learn <u>how to create and use dashboard filters</u>.

The only thing that has ever worked are the bold and underline tags. I’m not exactly a coder so I could be doing something wrong that is really obvious. How do you format/customize subtitles? 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @LDusa sadly not all HTML code works the same across the site so you may be stuck with whatever it accepts. You could reach out to support to ask but in my experience and with what you describe it may not accept anything other than the 2 tags you mention. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Have you tried <em> instead of <i>? <i> is often not supported by things but emphasis gives the same effect.