Best Answer

Help with rethinking Managers Dashboards

• 25 February 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Folks, today I caught back up with my original sales rep and we were chatting about the past year in review and the look forward. I expressed a dissatisfier was the new My Team reporting outputs…and he suggested a viable alternative can be to consider establishing permissions for a supervisor as a Power User to give them access to the older dashboards in Reports.

I am intrigued by this because he mentioned there will be no need to maintain the mapping of supervisor to subordinate as a resource…I hear this? And I begin to think the approach is viable. 

To be fair and open? He did mention that “my integration should handle that…”

I get I will need to do some magic with pages and menus to support the links to the dashboard…but does this sound accurate? I was under the impression I needed to maintain the supervisor to subordinate as a resource for each and every supervisor…which was one of a host of reasons to not go down this route….including exposing the backend to managers…

Anyone exposing those dashboards to your supervisors? What are the permissions to do so that made you successful?

icon

Best answer by Jamie at GuyKat 24 August 2022, 03:48

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I too have been told about setting up our managers as power users, for reporting/dashboard purposes.  However i don’t know what extra information this would give them so would be interested to know more. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yeah, this does work as long as you are managing what users they get access to through the PU role and probably consider the onboarding/automation process for that assignment otherwise you still end up managing it. Able to be done through a combination of User Fields and groups though.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @dklinger - I’m curious if you have an update on this and if you were able to set anything viable up.

We are currently looking at ways to get managers more involved when users have passed their training deadlines. The reports are too clunky and they are no proactively using them. Notifications don’t quite work as expected and either send too much info or too little. 

I have thought about the PowerUser + dashboard option but not sure how to go about it.

Thanks,

Aimee 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Power user setup does give them access to more robust reporting and dashboards, but there is an element of maintenance to the power users themselves and it can get tricky depending on how your branches and/or groups are setup, how often your org structure changes, how many managers you have, and how automated your user management is. More of the story - it does offer more than the My Team area does but it comes with some additional setup and maintenance that can get tedious if you aren’t able to automate it through your user management processes.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 3

I am very interested in Manager Dashboards. The problem with dashboards today is that it will not automatically recognize the reporting structure permissions that you have in place (manager - subordinate). This means, you will open up more visibility to your managers than you might intend to.

What I propose is that Docebo continue to refine the dashboarding functionality to recognize hierarchical relationships - a manager could then have access to this better visual reporting, but only for his/her direct reports (& indirect reports). 

The permissions could look like this:

• Dashboards - view 
  • Dashboards - view/edit

The constraints on the permissions could look like this:

• Constraint - user’s branch
    • System recognizes the user logged in & only shows them the data for the users that share his/her branch
  • Constraint - user’s direct & indirect reports
    • System recognizes the user logged in & only shows them the data for their direct/indirect reports
  • Constraint - specific branch(es) 
    • Drop down to select appropriate branches
Userlevel 1

I was digging around the knowledge base and community to find a solution nearly *identical* to what @jkauffeld mentions above. 

The “My Team” page is incredibly limited - managers need to see a bigger picture view that a dashboard can provide w/o having to manually configure each manager’s permissions. 

Please consider implementing something like this! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@jkauffeld are there ideas you’re following to support these? I think they are wonderful improvements and would like to share them with the customers I support at Docebo. Many thanks! 

Userlevel 3

@christina.streetman I’m not sure I understand your question. I’m describing functionality that does not exist today with Docebo (but does exist with other systems I’ve used in the past). I’m outlining how this new functionality could work, if Docebo chose to build it. I would be more than happy to be a beta tester!😊

Userlevel 1
Badge

@jkauffeld thanks! I meant an idea in the community that others can upvote if that already exists. Thanks!