How can I allow a user to go ahead and take a course even if their enrollment deadline has passed?

• 7 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Even though I’ve been using Docebo for a couple years now I just found a setting in admin/advanced features that helped me solve this problem.

When a user didn’t complete a course before their deadline, we would go in an edit the enrollment and extend the deadline. This worked on a case by case basis. But when we onboard dozens of part time staff twice a year, this got to be too much on the administrator so we stopped using an enrollment deadline. This took away the added benefit of having the deadline for managers to track their staff status of completion against the deadline especially when viewing My Team page. 

I just happened upon a setting that I didn’t give a whole lot of thought to when we were setting up the system but solves this issue. You can enable a “soft” deadline by going to the E-learning tab in advanced setting and clicking the checkbox: “Allow users to enter an E-Learning course even if the enrollment validity or course end date is expired” Hope this little gem of a setting helps someone else further on down the line.

I learn something new every day when using this system:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Super helpful setting! Note that the Soft Deadline option can be set globally for all courses from Advanced Settings, and you can also override the default setting course-by-course from the Course Advanced Properties > Time Options tab.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Cindy McElhinney there’s nothing I love more than seeing individuals learn new tricks and then turning around and sharing them with the community! Thanks for sharing

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks. This will be really helpful!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Anyone try sharing a deep link on a course that is support soft deadlines (the one that autoenrolls), but the course is inside of learning plan that has a validity (essentially a hard deadline). Anyone know the outcome?

Userlevel 2

Even though I’ve been using Docebo for a couple years now I just found a setting in admin/advanced features that helped me solve this problem.

When a user didn’t complete a course before their deadline, we would go in an edit the enrollment and extend the deadline. This worked on a case by case basis. But when we onboard dozens of part time staff twice a year, this got to be too much on the administrator so we stopped using an enrollment deadline. This took away the added benefit of having the deadline for managers to track their staff status of completion against the deadline especially when viewing My Team page. 

I just happened upon a setting that I didn’t give a whole lot of thought to when we were setting up the system but solves this issue. You can enable a “soft” deadline by going to the E-learning tab in advanced setting and clicking the checkbox: “Allow users to enter an E-Learning course even if the enrollment validity or course end date is expired” Hope this little gem of a setting helps someone else further on down the line.

I learn something new every day when using this system:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s helpful. Another way could be to not to put the End date of the course or days of validity.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@abhijeet.dalvi - good morning. I believe the course “adopts” the validity of the LP. But I would to hear more about what you are thinking.