Question

Managing Training Material - Format Struggles - Course Organization

• 18 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello Docebo Community! 

I have trainng materials that are specific to our ERP, that our users use all the time, for reference as well as training on a new process. The system is an Oracle based UPK systems (old) that is housed directly onto our servers. That being said, I would like to move these UPKs into Docebo, so that all of our training is located in one platform. 

But, I am struggling a bit with organization. Currently, when you open UPK it gives you a nice outline with subheaders and then specific process trainings underneath, so you can clearly see what is available. My thought is to put the UPK SCORM files into the Course Catalog as individual courses, then organize them by Course Catalog.

IE: UPK ‘Entering an Order’ - Course Title and Contents // Course will be in ‘Order Management’ Catalog.  

But, the Course Catalog doesn’t have the ability to list out, in a nice way, what the user is looking for, they have to click into the actual Catalog to see all offerings. Is there a way around this? 

Additionally, if a user wants to just use the course as a reference, is there a way to do this? Rather than fully enrolling in the course? We are struggling with user’s learning plans becoming out of control with ‘in progress’ learnings because they just need to reference the material, not actually complete it. 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @amanda.f I assume a UPK is a type of course? Let me address your last question...If you have Docebo Coach & Share, you can use Channels to post your non-formal training materials. We have found this to be very useful.

If you do not have this option, you can use the File Repository widget to house your reference materials and organize but it needs to be inside a course… You could call the course, something like, Oracle Resources…

As for organizing the catalogue...that’s a little more complex and it Amy take some trial and error. You can create a page with widgets that lead to a set of pre-determined search criteria, or categories or you can create a bunch of smaller catalogues and have the users access them via a well-designed page. Essentially designing the page as you would think the users would likely search for content.

The default catalogue options are pretty much set to a Card view or List view so not much you can do to change this unless you =get creative with HTML pages, iFrames or other coding; not to say this is not an option. Think there are a few posts under the HTML & CSS group that may help.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge

The courses in our Learning Plans are created specifically for the audience and Learning Plan. It chunks out the learning in the order necessary to build one. We also have a REFERENCE course that has EVERYTHING in it organized by folders that they get enrolled in once they have completed their Learning Plan. The Reference Course is open navigation where the Learning Plan must be completed in order. We did not want them going into the Reference Course and completing things out of order. If it is the same content, housed in the Central Repository, you don’t want them going into the REFERENCE course before they finish the Learning Plan properly. We have two homepages. While they are completing their initial onboarding learning plan they see a very simplified landing page. Once they complete their learning page they get moved into the Activated group which moves them up to a landing page that provides a button to the REFERENCE course.