Best Answer

Reusable accounts/Scorm courses

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Good Monday morning, Hivemind …

I have a group that wants to offer training to an external organization “with thousands” of potential users. This tenant in our extended enterprise uses SSO for its learners, and the thought of managing this many users is daunting for them (understandably). They don’t need to track any of the participation or course completion information.

• I know that I can create a limited number of accounts and provide the username/passwords to the organization.
  • I understand that the course shell shows the “resume” or “start again” buttons, as does the SCORM file.
  • I understand that Docebo doesn’t really have the concept of a “multiple users” account.

Does anyone know how to stop SCORM from doing any tracking? I’d love to present the course again and again as if it had never been viewed.

Thanks for any ideas …

KM

icon

Best answer by dklinger 27 June 2022, 17:54

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @KMallette - many SCORM authoring tools often have an output of HTML (and it used to output to flash as well….boooo…..hissss). In fact all four tools I use the most often support that type of output (Captivate, Storyline, Camtasia, EasyGenerator).

No SCORM, no tracking. BUT, by the time you do that? Highly consider that the content should probably just rest on a website and not in a learning management system.

If you are looking to keep a non-SCORM html packet together for use in Docebo? I believe you are going to need to have a hosting platform/site so that you could iframe in your HTML only courseware.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

oooh also @KMallette ? Many courseware bookmark their content even though it is not LMS driven because they drop a cookie into your browser. I am sure Storyline and Captivate support this….so you may want to disable a setting as you publish.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

If your content is SCORM from storyline and don’t feel like/can’t republish (or maybe you just like having the course hosted by Docebo instead of somewhere else in an IFRAME), you can modify the launch file in your SCORM course’s imsmanifest.xml file to launch the story.html instead of whatever else might be set.

The downside is that if you have any End/Close buttons that are supposed to communicate with the LMS, they won’t be able to.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@jbridgesThis made me think of companies who have not purchased the Elite Learning Pass. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@elamast - hey hey - its been a little.

So can you break this down for us - if I want to create purely a course experience outside of a course shell, is there a way to do it and have Docebo host the entire HTML “package”?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@elamast- hey hey - its been a little.

So can you break this down for us - if I want to create purely a course experience outside of a course shell, is there a way to do it and have Docebo host the entire HTML “package”?

It depends a bit on which authoring tool you started with as to how easy this is.  Any SCORM package from Storyline can be easily modified so as to disable the SCORM functionality by changing the launch file pointed to in the imsmanifest.xml file.  The upside is that Docebo still sees it as a SCORM package you can upload and THEY will host.  The downside is that your course will never complete or otherwise be able to talk to the LMS.

The HTML Content/IFRAME solution works well if you have an outside place to host your content (such as AWS).  We currently use this one a lot for non-SCORM content.  With this method you have an automatic completion of the LO upon launch.

There are also some SCORM wrapper approaches where you could trigger a completion based on opening a “course”, but that can also close the course you just opened if navigation is automatic.  Alternatively you could have a simple SCORM wrapper around a “course” that has a “completed” button on the last page that just needs to be clicked.  I used to use this solution when I’d need to launch and track viewing a PDF that was in a frameset with a big “I have read and will comply” button at the bottom (philosophical discussion aside as to whether that should ever be in an LMS). In either case the wrapper and the non-SCORM content can be packaged together as a SCORM package that the LMS will happily let you upload, launch and track.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@elamast- hey hey - its been a little.

The HTML Content/IFRAME solution works well if you have an outside place to host your content (such as AWS).  We currently use this one a lot for non-SCORM content.  With this method you have an automatic completion of the LO upon launch.

@KMallette - I am paraphrasing and shortening - but what i talked you through is covered through the summary and what Ed covers is a workaround with a little clunky added to it. You gain options that allow you to go outside of the box and allow you to have content within and outside of a course. For example, I love H5P and they have a great crossword content type….where a xword can be interesting in a course for engagement? Why not have the xword in an html widget on a page?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@elamast@dklinger I was thinking about HTML and then presenting it in an iFrame on a Docebo dashboard, so thanks for confirming my thoughts.  But as others have said, if you don’t want to track, and my tenant doesn’t want to deal with the user accounts, it’s probably best to just find a webserver.

I’ll pass this back to my team.  Thanks so much for your help.

KM

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@elamast@dklingerI was thinking about HTML and then presenting it in an iFrame on a Docebo dashboard, so thanks for confirming my thoughts.  But as others have said, if you don’t want to track, and my tenant doesn’t want to deal with the user accounts, it’s probably best to just find a webserver.

I’ll pass this back to my team.  Thanks so much for your help.

KM

If the content can live outside your internal network, and your target audience is spread around the country or world, then seriously consider using a CDN with your hosting so that the content can be served up quickly from “wherever”.  One of my favorites is Bunny CDN because they have both storage and a CDN under one roof (and they’re not Amazon).